Hours of stove use per day ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
When you do use your stove, approx. how many hours per day do you use it ?

Right now, I am using mine approx. 18-19 hours per day, here is why.

It is not that cold here in Tenn. during the mid day hours right now, I burn mine from approx. 4 pm until 11 am the next day, allowing a few hours of cool down for maintenance, ash compaction or removal and a quick touch up on my glass if needed before the next light at around 4 pm.

This could change according to the weather...........

Robbie

I burn 24/7 less maintenance. Been burning on a lower setting the last few days, but burned on high for 14 days with the temps only rising to 29* last month. Takes 5 minutes each day to clinker chase. Shut down once a week for vacuuming.

Except for when I shut it down for maintenance, or when I was laid up sick mine has been burning 24x7 since Thanksgiving. I figure that's pretty good for a wood-burning newbie... :)

Eric

24-7 unless the outside temp gets over 50

I only burn when it is convenient. I have been home all week so the stove has been going quite a lot. I don't put in wood and leave the house or go to bed. If I add wood I plan on being home and awake. However many times when I cannot pay attention to the stove it still is full of coals or it has heated the brick hearth, so I feel there is some thermal storage.

I will probably burn 2 cords of wood this year and some natural gas. But I enjoy the stove heat and the warmth and I think there is a certain dollar benefit.

regards, Mike

In a normal winter, when its.... what's that word, when there's not much heat around.... we don't use it often this year... damned, what's that word again... oh yes, COLD... In a normal winter, when its Cold, I burn 24/7.

At the beginning and end of the heating season, (which is what I find myself doing now, because of this warm weather pattern) I burn as needed. Basically, I follow this rule:
If its in the 40s or lower during the day,and overcast, I burn. If its sunny, I only burn if the temps are in the 30s during the day (passive solar takes care of the house if its in the 40s and sunny).
If its in the 30s or lower at night, I burn.

-- Mike

It's been an unusually mild winter here on the not-so-frozen tundra so far - daytime temps 30s and 40s, nighttime 20s and 30s. One cold snap of a few days with daytime in the 20s, nights in the teens.

I've only had the stove a month and at first was filling the 3 cf firebox around the clock (typically once every 6-8 hours) until I figured out I could heat the whole house on far less. For the past week I've been using two splits plus an occasional round at a time & letting it go down to fine coals before reloading per manufacturer's recs. I can typically go 8-9 hours until the unit's thermostatically controlled fan kicks off, and still rekindle the next batch by raking the coals and then using the bellows for a minute. If nights are above freezing I don't reload after 4 pm, let it go down overnight and the house is still in the low 60s both downstairs and up when we wake up. Vastly improved woodpile mileage.

Oh, and the oil furnace has been shut right off since the day the stove went in.

not exactly 24/7, but there are always hot coals in it

Generally about 12 hours per day...light the fire at 6pm burn to 6am - only when someone is home and we need the heat. Otherwise the fire is out and it is up to thermal mass and insulation to keep the house warm.

Corey

I keep my thermostat at 66, and if the high temps are in the 30's or higher, which it has been all Dec, I can get away with 1 fire in the evening. My house is insulated pretty well, so it holds the heat for a long time. No sense in wasting wood and roasting at 80 degree inside temps. Doesn't look like winter is coming til mid Jan, so I'll save some firewood.

24/7 unless temps reach 50 or more, and I will stop for maintence. Usually when it goes out I will check the flue and chimney and go from there.

Jake said:
not exactly 24/7, but there are always hot coals in it
I would call that 24/7. I burn the same way due to the warmer weather . I would rather keep it rolling then have to restart from a cold stove. I'm still able to do maintenance IE: clean glass and empty ash drawer prior to reload in the morning.

Basically burning 24/7. The insert never gets below a bed of coals. I have been slacking off a bit and not burning as hot as I could during the day; it's been too warm.

I've been heating my whole house with just my Regency I2400 this year. However, it can't really put out heat all night long. I'd guess it can put out heat for maybe 6 hours at best. So on cold days I've developed the strategy of running it hard in the evening and getting the house warmer than it needs to be. That way as it starts to fall behind during the night, the house can cool off a few degrees and still be comfortable. I think of the whole house as a thermal mass.

But if I get home late on a cold night and want to get to sleep before I've had time to warm the house enough, then it is cooler than I want in the morning. So this one stove can heat my whole house even on cold days but for best results it requires me to be around to keep feeding it.

I suppose if it were really cold and I got home really late I'd just sleep on the sofa in front of the stove.

I burn 24/7. intensity of burn depends on weather. So far I figure I've burned just under 2 cords since early Oct.

I burn 24 / 7 until I feel it is too cold for the coal insert to handle, then I shut it down and burn the BIG coal furnace 24 / 7

24/7 for me, though we let it go to just coals when the afternoon gets warm and the house goes over 75. Evenings are always cool so we bring it back up after supper. Gas boiler is sitting idle so far.

24/7 if cold enough, otherwise might let it go out. I don't clean the glass, and just scoop out a few shovelfuls of ash each day when I get home, which is probably it's lowest burn point.

Gooserider

If it's 24/7. It been warm so 14-18 hrs a day or when the house cools down to 70 deg. Anything under 70 is
freezing at my house. It 75 in here right now.

whenever needed- have not used any NG for heat since I the stove went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.