House filled up with smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
My Quadra-fire cb1200 freestanding stove started letting smoke in the house. I planned on cleaning the stove, so I shut it off and went about doing other things while the stove shut down and cooled. I was upstairs and all of sudden I smelled smoke and you could see it. I keep this stove very clean all the time. After it shut down I opened the door and I noticed smoke still coming out of the burn pot even though the unit has been shut down a while. What would have caused this? I'm suppose to go out tonight and I don't feel like I trust it. Also, the burn pot was just cleaned out yesterday. Thanks for your help.

Its vented straight out and I don't have outside air. I plan on having it go straight up.

I swicthed it to off and was just waiting for the fans to shut off.

I would think that the exhaust blower did shut off, too soon for whatever reason.... I don't know the inner workings of the stove
I had the direct vent and never had smoke back after shutting it down properly the exhaust blower would run for about 45 minitues after shutting it down....
This is on a Harman though

I think, as our resident expert Rod has pointed out, that a straight out installation on any pellet stove should become a thing of the past. Whenever possible, a rise of at least 5 feet should be used. Also, some stove manuals require outside air. These two things should go a long way toward eliminating smoke backup from the occasional "burp".....not to say that the stove is supposed to smoke, but just that Murphy is always in attendance and his laws dictate that "what can go wrong, will go wrong"....plan accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.