How and where to store a new wood stove for 2 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 2, 2020
New Hampshire

Great forums, and glad to join up, from New Hampshire. The stove above seems to be at a great price and we are tempted to pick one up. l It is for an addition to our place that will be done two and a half years from now, after our tenants leave and we move in. We can't put the stove in the house, and ask your advice about storing it unopened in a shed or garage. Would that cause a problem with corrosion or any other problems?

Given what looks like a bargain price of under $700 for this Drolet 1800 (after HD credit card discount), does it make sense to "strike while the iron is hot" and buy and store the stove until 2022? Thanks for advice.

1588421862306.png

I wouldn’t buy it until you’re ready to install.

If you have a dry place to store it, why not? I often used to collect and store items I found at a great price for a later project, sometimes saving hundreds of dollars. Worse case scenario you sell it in a couple years if you change your mind. Put it in the driest location, preferably one with no mice. The stove might get a little surface rust. You could spray the interior with a light coat of cooking oil (no lecithin).

Also, could not pass up a deal on a new stove a few years ago. I stored my Hampton H300 (Timberline Brown Enamel) for 2 years in the garage until our new house was built. It was a never burned, floor model. Had it on a furniture dolly wrapped in heave plastic. Life time warranty kicked in went it was bought of course. No problems but moving this little beast around (carefully) was quite a challenge.

I left a painted steel stove (nc-13) ina garage for 5 years. No problems. Maybe a small spot or two of surface rust that sanded right off.

If you have a dry place to store it, why not? I often used to collect and store items I found at a great price for a later project, sometimes saving hundreds of dollars. Worse case scenario you sell it in a couple years if you change your mind. Put it in the driest location, preferably one with no mice. The stove might get a little surface rust. You could spray the interior with a light coat of cooking oil (no lecithin).
Thanks, BeGreen.
Thanks, Begreen. Would something like corn or soybean oil work? Do you recommend oiling the exterior too?

Thanks, BeGreen.

Thanks, Begreen. Would something like corn or soybean oil work? Do you recommend oiling the exterior too?
Soybean oil and lecithin tends to be gummy. Mineral oil would work too. Only spray the interior. Be careful and don't get any on the exterior paint.