How big is a 3 cord grapple load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi everyone. I'm in NH where wood is expensive, even though our entire state is wooded...

I have a source of oak grapple loads for cheap money. It's a small grapple truck and delivers three cords at a time. I'm on a residential lot, just about an acre. Anyone have a picture of just how much room a small grapple of three cords will take up? I'm wondering if I could have them dump it in my driveway.

Thank you!

Truck weight shouldn't be an issue as we have no public utilities underground.

Hi everyone. I'm in NH where wood is expensive, even though our entire state is wooded...

I have a source of oak grapple loads for cheap money. It's a small grapple truck and delivers three cords at a time. I'm on a residential lot, just about an acre. Anyone have a picture of just how much room a small grapple of three cords will take up? I'm wondering if I could have them dump it in my driveway.

Thank you!

Truck weight shouldn't be an issue as we have no public utilities underground.

I too am in a residential lot. I get a large grapple load every fall (5 cords or so). Usually slightly more. It’s not problem for it to be in the yard but on the driveway, it would completely block all access (and I have a double length drive way (10 cars long). It’s not that the logs would take up the whole driveway, but the wood processing process is not all that fast and your driveway would be a mess. I would suggest the yard if you can swing it.

Sorry, I don’t have any photos of my grapple loads. Just the end results. :)

Thank you. I luckily have a large driveway with a gravel area to the side which can accommodate approximately 8 cars. The gravel area is off to the side and we should still be able to get into the garage with the wood there.

I will keep in mind the processing area. That is a good point which I didn't think of.

This is a full 7.5 Cord log load. Yours will be approx 1/2 this as I had processed a cord and a half when this was taken
30%Red Oak and the rest Sugar Maple Culled logs off my bush that were not good for lumber but make great fire wood
1569250156189.png

Great thank you. Looks manageable to me.

I guess I have to put a new chain on the chainsaw, sharpen up my axe and maul, and remind my wife not to back into the firewood.

Reactions: Dtunes
Still young and dumb enough to try it just with the axes. In reality, I'll probably buck and split one cord before I end up running to tractor supply for a splitter.

Got the neighborhood kids to stack it for cheap money and rights to play in the yard.

Delivery is coming Saturday. I'm more excited than I should be.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
Order up a few spare chains and check the carb tune on the saw. Looks like a fun project!

This is the "2 cords" I got last month. (In quotes as still working on it, travel and a baby cramps cutting time.)

I am in 1/3 acre and luckily the truck could literally back up my driveway and all the way to where I wanted it.

I have a 7 car driveway and having that on it would have cause some space issues getting in and out.20190802_155059.jpg

Still young and dumb enough to try it just with the axes. In reality, I'll probably buck and split one cord before I end up running to tractor supply for a splitter.

Got the neighborhood kids to stack it for cheap money and rights to play in the yard.

Delivery is coming Saturday. I'm more excited than I should be.

There are a lot of us on here that get excited about log deliveries and good scores of firewood. I always tell my wife there are far worse habits and addictions out there. It’s cheap, good exercise and heats the house. Tough to be beat it.

I sectioned off an area of my driveway. It's just the two of us with the garage. We can pretty easily fit 20 cars, so I'm not too worried about the space. Dug out the old log jack

Grapple loads are tough to find down here.
And they are $$$$$
I've had three cords slid off/out of a gravel truck.
Sure beats hauling out of the woods one at a time.

how much are they charging for a 3-cord delivery? I'm in the same area, and getting behind for next year's supply

I'm paying $100/cord. Ended up finding a 2 cord log length guy instead.

As you know, we're typically looking at $275-325/cord of split and *seasoned" around here.

I think this guy is based out of Pelham. I'll let you know how the delivery is when it comes and I can send over his info.

My little Ryobi saw has been giving me issues. Went out yesterday and picked up a new Echo 490. Looking forward to using it.

Reactions: twd000
I'm paying $100/cord. Ended up finding a 2 cord log length guy instead.

As you know, we're typically looking at $275-325/cord of split and *seasoned" around here.

I think this guy is based out of Pelham. I'll let you know how the delivery is when it comes and I can send over his info.

My little Ryobi saw has been giving me issues. Went out yesterday and picked up a new Echo 490. Looking forward to using it.

This is the place I got a 2 cord log deliver from: (They were also $200 for a 2 cord drop)

Uh-oh. Seems like "kid stacks" might be about as crooked and wobbly as some of the "sister-in-law stacks" I've seen here. ;lol

One 30-36"dia x 15ft oak log, stacked here makes up about .7cord
By that math, 3 cords would be about 4 logs that size.
I doubt they would ship logs that size - but you didn't say ---

Came a day early. All good wood. More than half of it was dead standing ash cut a year ago. I cut up one of the log lengths and split it and I'm getting a reading of 17% from the center. Might go up a few points once indoors for a while, but it looks like I'll be able to burn a lot of this wood this winter if I needed. The oak will take a couple years, but thats what I had anticipated. Glad I picked up the new saw. My little 37cc wouldn't have been up to the task.

I shouldn't have worried. I could easily have fit enough logs for 12-15 cords in this area. Out of the way, and I'll blow the shavings into the woods.

So, process that one while the days are still not too short and cold and get another load.
Money in the bank.

Reactions: weatherguy
Actually ended up being the same guy. Saddle up tree service out of Pelham. I found him on FB marketplace and had no clue. Good guy and he showed up with a dump truck of wood. The neighborhood kids came by and he beeped the air horn for them, which they loved.

Reactions: billb3