How big is a split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to get all of mine down to 6" across the widest point. I have found that to be just about right in hotness of fire vs length of fire.

I guess it just depends on personal preference. I guess to me, a big split would be an 8x10" slab or an 8" x8" chunk...something that will burn all night long. Medium maybe 5"x5" or so, small would be 2-3" for a nice hot fire.

I sometimes split the 2 sides off a log leaving a thick board-like section. This is thin enough across to dry through, but loads in the stove well, stacks nicely, and gives good burn times. If it's thin enough (3" or so) you could have this be almost as wide as you'd like really, since the moisture can escape through the exposed split parts.

Next year I'm going to be reducing the average size of my splits. I'm finding that many of mine are too big, and will need "adjusted" before I can burn them this winter. Some are even too long. Apparently my eyes are bigger than my stove (to modify one of my granny's old sayings...)

-SF

Adios Pantalones said:
I sometimes split the 2 sides off a log leaving a thick board-like section. This is thin enough across to dry through, but loads in the stove well, stacks nicely, and gives good burn times. If it's thin enough (3" or so) you could have this be almost as wide as you'd like really, since the moisture can escape through the exposed split parts.

I do the same, cut the middle out of a round, end up with 2 semi half rounds and a plank. It slides on top up near the heat tubes without a hassle.

WoodButcher

I find bigger splits are better, I light fires every night so I want em big for the overnight burns, I can get the coal bed going with 3 smaller ones and then 5-6 bigguns for the overnight. Big is a 6-8" round or split.

"Large" for me is roughly what you'd get if you halved an 8" diameter round. "Medium" would be maybe a 10" round quartered, something like that. "Small" is anything smaller than that. "Perfect" is the split size my wife is most comfortable handling so that I can lay in my nice warm bed in the morning while she gets the fire going. I tend to lean toward "perfect" when I'm splitting a mix of different sizes (which is what I routinely do). Rick

I use the height of the splitting wedge on my log splitter to gauge what is too big. That would be around 6" on the widest face. Any log under 6" gets split only in half. I rely on a variety of log diameters to give me a good mix of sizes and try to maintain that mix while stacking. Sometimes when unstacking, the weather at the time might call for more small pieces so I might whack off a few with the axe.

Large = 6 inches thick or bigger at the average point of thickness
med = anything 4- 5 inches at the average P O T
Small = anything smaller than 4” at the average P O T

Thats the way I rate them.

Small- 2-4"
Med- 4-6"
Large- 6-8"

Most of my splits are in my medium range diameter and 14-18" lengths.

The best split I can do is get about 5 inches from the floor.

Bigg_Redd said:
No idea.

We don't have "splits" in western WA.

OK!, (I'll bite) What do we have?????

WOODBUTCHER said:
Adios Pantalones said:

I do the same, cut the middle out of a round, end up with 2 semi half rounds and a plank. It slides on top up near the heat tubes without a hassle.

WoodButcher

I didn't do these yet this year because I've been hand splitting everything however I always referred to them as "phone books" and find they stack nicely for all night burns as well as adding a few when I need to get some quick heat.

As far as splits go on my hill, I try to keep them 6 to 8 inches at the widest point but I split everything I can. I like having split wood and smaller 2 inch branches to burn. You can always fit another piece in when you have such a variety of size.

Tripper

So, what do I call the smaller limbs I burn? They're not split. Are they "rounds"? 3" rounds?

bokehman said:
One other question: what's the biggest round you don't split?
It depends on whether or not the round will split, just shatter or blow out the side. I split all rounds no matter how small. They dry better, stack better, and don't roll toward the glass in the stove.

madrone said:
So, what do I call the smaller limbs I burn? They're not split. Are they "rounds"? 3" rounds?

Most of these guys are east coast. Don't try to reason. Just nod your head and back away.

So this brings up another question,

If you live on the East coast: How many splits do you burn in the shoulder season?

Or if you live in Western Washington: How many pieces of wood that you have divided up at least in half or possibly multiple times do you burn in the season that has a variation of warm and cooler temperatures and occurs prior to the winter season and just after the winter season?

Also isn't this discrimination against W WA that they are deprived of splits and shoulder seasons? Why don't they get them when everybody else does?

madrone said:

I call mine The Pep Boys. Rick

ScottF said:
So this brings up another question,

If you live on the East coast: How many splits do you burn in the shoulder season?

Or if you live in Western Washington: How many pieces of wood that you have divided up at least in half or possibly multiple times do you burn in the season that has a variation of warm and cooler temperatures and occurs prior to the winter season and just after the winter season?

Also isn't this discrimination against W WA that they are deprived of splits and shoulder seasons? Why don't they get them when everybody else does?

****just nods and backs away****

Status
Not open for further replies.