How can I tune my 25-PDV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

grunyon

Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys.

I got an infrared thermometer and I am interested in tuning this stove to try to get the most out of my pellets. I still feel like I'm the only one complaining my stove isn't hot enough to even heat my living room unless it stays on 9-9.

I understand that Air on Temp needs to stay where it is.

How to I tune Fuel Feed and Burn Air? How much air is too little? Too much? How much fuel is too little? Too much?

Should I tune my stove on a heat setting of 1? 5? 9?

Thanks.

Normally in heat mode d you set the lower 3 buttons on 6-4-1. I suppose you could try 7-4-1 to see if more heat is gained.
If all else fails you can always change the heat mode to C for a higher heat output (burns more pellets ) Supposedly you`ll get a slightly dirtier burn but I don`t see it either in the stove (flame) or the exhaust .
I would think the proper technical instruments would be needed to determine the differences. I`d also have to believe it might not meet the stove emission specs either but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Perform a control board reset as follows .....

Do this when the stove is cold.

Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

Press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 2 seconds and then release the buttons, after a few seconds you should see F5 in the two digital readouts.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 in the digital readouts to go blank, unplug the power as soon as the display goes blank and wait 5 - 10 seconds.

Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and release, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds.

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6-4-1 from left to right.
(Note: Some 25 PDV stoves settings for the lower 3 buttons are 4-6-1, 5-4-1.)

Clean out the burn pot etc.

Put fuel in the hopper, start up the stove, set the stove on 5 for heat and 5 for the blower and see how it goes from there (it takes about 30 - 60 minutes for the stove to get to it's operating temp).

The lower 3 buttons only affect the bottom 2 heat levels (1 & 2) on the PDV and PDVC.

So on 9-9 it should burn the same, no matter the bottom settings. Or that's what I have seen and read. Only the EP, PAH, CPM, and IP are affected on all heat levels.

Reactions: h2ochild
Hey guys.

I got an infrared thermometer and I am interested in tuning this stove to try to get the most out of my pellets. I still feel like I'm the only one complaining my stove isn't hot enough to even heat my living room unless it stays on 9-9.

I understand that Air on Temp needs to stay where it is.

How to I tune Fuel Feed and Burn Air? How much air is too little? Too much? How much fuel is too little? Too much?

Should I tune my stove on a heat setting of 1? 5? 9?

Thanks.

best thing to do is call ENGLANDER when u get a chance- customer service is TOP NOTCH= they'll walk u thru any problem w/o diffuculty..been there so I know >>

The lower 3 buttons only affect the bottom 2 heat levels (1 & 2) on the PDV and PDVC.

So on 9-9 it should burn the same, no matter the bottom settings. Or that's what I have seen and read. Only the EP, PAH, CPM, and IP are affected on all heat levels.

I have the 25 PDVC --- man date of 2012, the lower 3 buttons affect all the heat levels on it.

Reactions: smoke show

Press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 2 seconds and then release the buttons, after a few seconds you should see F5 in the two digital readouts.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 in the digital readouts to go blank, unplug the power as soon as the display goes blank and wait 5 - 10 seconds.

Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and release, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds.

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6-4-1 from left to right.

Put fuel in the hopper, start up the stove, set the stove on 5 for heat and 5 for the blower and see how it goes from there (it takes about 30 - 60 minutes for the stove to get to it's operating temp).

Does anyone know what modes "a & b" do on the Englander 25-PDV stoves. I have read a lot of info on this site about modes "c & d" but no mention of what a & b do.

What are these modes A B C and D? I have a 25PDV and there is no mention of those settings on the control board or the manual. Is that only on the 25PDVC models?
I'm getting confused here everytime someone mentoins those different modes on there PDV model.

What are these modes A B C and D? I have a 25PDV and there is no mention of those settings on the control board or the manual. Is that only on the 25PDVC models?
I'm getting confused here everytime someone mentoins those different modes on there PDV model.

On the 25-PDV stoves there are modes a,b,c & d. These are found when resetting the control board back to factory settings. My understanding is that the 25-PDV comes from the factory set to mode d. Mode c changes the fuel feed (auger speed) to increase heat output. I am trying to understand what modes a & b are for, if anything at all.

*yawn* dealer......why isnt anyone calling the dealer?

That #10 is Mike Holton himself describing the operation of a PDVC and he states this model is only affected on levels 1 and 2.

The newer generation stoves (single auger/Top feed) are for all settings.

the 240 doesnt have a mode adjust it was a chip made specifically for that model, it does however have full range changeability in the lower buttons where the "2 auger" stoves are only effected on ranges 1-2....

From the Man...

Modes 'A' and 'b' just increase the fuel feed even more than mode 'c' or 'd' does ...... again, puts out more heat due to the extra fuel, but the down side is that it will burn 'dirty'.

Modes 'A' and 'b' just increase the fuel feed even more than mode 'c' or 'd' does ...... again, puts out more heat due to the extra fuel, but the down side is that it will burn 'dirty'.

Thx CladMaster - I figured that's what they were for - just wanted confirmation. I am going to spend some time this weekend mapping the top auger speeds vs mode vs heat range settings. I will post my findings to share on this site. I believe that having an understanding of the timing of the top auger is key to consistent results in burning without jamming. Pellets play some role in this as well but not sure just how much. Pellets definitely influence heat output based on actual material of the pellets.

To the others on this that are having difficulties with there stoves for whatever reason - be patient because I believe that these stoves are fairly well built - we just need a better understanding of how to tune them to get them to work. I will continue to post on this site with my findings and discuss the whys and hows of what I have done and my results. Being an engineer for over 35 years there is nothing I can't fix after getting to the root cause of the problem.

Hi; I hope someone sees this. I followed these instructions after my son inadvertently did something to our 25-pdvc that made the lowest setting still put pellets out too quickly (making the stove burn like a portal to H*ll).

The stove did not respond at all the way the directions said it should; I never saw F5, and never saw numbers when I tried pressing the lower buttons (I only tried the two leftmost ones).

Now the stove wants to shut down always. It will start burning and get up to temperature and then want to shut down. I tried holding down the on button (display says 5 and U) since that has worked in the past. However, that doesn't work. The stove will keep burning if I keep hitting the on button but it returns to shutdown mode after a few seconds.

It's too late in the day for me to call the manufacturer, and I have to work tomorrow. It's gonna get cold again here and I am very worried and stressed that I've messed this thing up. Burning like H*ll was better than not at all.

Thanks,

Clipper

You need to follow these instructions as detailed, others have no problem with these instructions, please try again.

Thanks; for some reason the problem seems to have sorted itself; thank goodness. I still don't understand the numbers that you all mention when talking about the 3 bottom buttons but maybe I'll figure it out some day. I wish I could find a video of an explanation.

Thanks; for some reason the problem seems to have sorted itself; thank goodness. I still don't understand the numbers that you all mention when talking about the 3 bottom buttons but maybe I'll figure it out some day. I wish I could find a video of an explanation.

See pic below ...... each one is set with a number, press each one of the buttons outlined in red as shown below, a number will be displayed for each button.

To change the number you press the up or down button under that number.

The defaults are 6 - 4 - 1 as shown below.

Attachments

• PDV(C).JPG
    PDV(C).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,065
Last edited: