How can you tell when to replace a chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1kzwoman

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2013
West near Yellowstone
My chimney is nearly 20 years old . What signs or symptoms would indicate that it needs replacing ?
Thank you in advance for your help. I am looking to purchase a new wood stove that takes the same size flue as my old stove. My sweep works for the Harman /BK dealership but hasn’t indicated that the chimney needs replaced or repaired at any point in his care of the duravent type chimney.

Reactions: VintageGal
My chimney is nearly 20 years old . What signs or symptoms would indicate that it needs replacing ?
Good question! I would think rust would be the number one enemy, but I'm not a pro. Is your sweep able to to a camera inspection? I think a lot depends on the location of your current chimney, whether internal or external -and the history of water intrusion, smoke leaks, overfiring, etc. Hope the moderators chime in ...

Reactions: marty319
Good question! I would think rust would be the number one enemy, but I'm not a pro. Is your sweep able to to a camera inspection? I think a lot depends on the location of your current chimney, whether internal or external -and the history of water intrusion, smoke leaks, overfiring, etc. Hope the moderators chime in ...
I’m looking at doing a camera myself as local sweep doesn’t use a camera. Wilds of Wyoming, nearest certified sweep is 3 hrs 200 miles away. I’m thinking any thing but new looking class A gets replaced.

It would be helpful to know what type of chimney you currently have.

For example, I torn down our old chimneys (brick and sand mortar about 80 years old), and installed two insulated ceramic chimneys with a 30 year guarantee. So to start, what is the guarantee on your chimney? Knowing that the a basic warranty is only minimum for liability. Not actual life span. Thus often not even close to the a maximum that any appliance can withstand.

So again, what type of chimney you have and what type of guarantee it has is a basic starting point.

Also, If you verified your sweep company, and if they have a good reputation, why are you questioning them?

It would be helpful to know what type of chimney you currently have.

For example, I torn down our old chimneys (brick and sand mortar about 80 years old), and installed two insulated ceramic chimneys with a 30 year guarantee. So to start, what is the guarantee on your chimney? Knowing that the a basic warranty is only minimum for liability. Not actual life span. Thus often not even close to the a maximum that any appliance can withstand.

So again, what type of chimney you have and what type of guarantee it has is a basic starting point.

Also, If you verified your sweep company, and if they have a good reputation, why are you questioning them?
It’s a Class A under 18 feet. The sweep/ dealer never indicated any warranty, and have provided all service to current flue. Never have gotten a report other than it looks good, I am asking (questioning) the forum members what they recommend looking for in a 20 year old system not the dealership.

It’s a Class A under 18 feet. The sweep/ dealer never indicated any warranty, and have provided all service to current flue. Never have gotten a report other than it looks good, I am asking (questioning) the forum members what they recommend looking for in a 20 year old system not the dealership.
You need to look for any buckling of the inner wall. Any signs of rust inside or out. Any evidence of air leaking in the joints. And evidence of water getting into the insulation. We generally start scanning them at about the 20 year mark to check things out

You need to look for any buckling of the inner wall. Any signs of rust inside or out. Any evidence of air leaking in the joints. And evidence of water getting into the insulation. We generally start scanning them at about the 20 year mark to check things out
How long do you typically see an insulated stainless chimney lasting?

How long do you typically see an insulated stainless chimney lasting?
That varies greatly were there any fires? How was it cleaned? What is it used for. What alloy of stainless is it etc. Typically though we see 25 to 30 years. But it absolutely can be much shorter or longer.

That varies greatly were there any fires? How was it cleaned? What is it used for. What alloy of stainless is it etc. Typically though we see 25 to 30 years. But it absolutely can be much shorter or longer.
No chimney fire, a poly brush twice a year by dealership sweep , a sooteater by myself as needed by cord count Of dry pine. Both are ends shiny bright using mirror and flashlight. Exterior is shiny with no visible damage.Invoice just says DuraVent no alloy label . So l’m hoping for a few more years but also getting the $35 camera ,and planning to replace it when/ if signs of deterioration come up or 25 years. Thanks everyone for your patience and help

Any chimney install should come with a warranty. Basic consumer law. Ask for it.

If it's 20 years old it's almost certainly out of warranty.
My masonry chimney has a 30 year warranty.

My stainless pipes have a 25 year warranty.

It depends on when it was installed (older installs may have shorter warranty -- mine is only 15 years old) and the company that installed it. Some in the USA may only have a 5 year warranty (which is rediculous... but... free market I guess). So it may depend.

But still, the installation should have some with paperwork about the warranty length. By consumer law.

My masonry chimney has a 30 year warranty.

My stainless pipes have a 25 year warranty.

It depends on when it was installed (older installs may have shorter warranty -- mine is only 15 years old) and the company that installed it. Some in the USA may only have a 5 year warranty (which is rediculous... but... free market I guess). So it may depend.

But still, the installation should have some with paperwork about the warranty length. By consumer law.
Yes I am sure the chimney did. If the installer provided that or not is a different question. But the warrant is still there if they have the receipt and the maintenance records all they would have to do is call the installer or duravent if a problem was found and they could figure out if it's covered by warranty. The thing is even if it is covered by warranty they usually start prorating it after 5 to 10 years anyway so at this point they wouldn't get much.

The thing is even if it is covered by warranty they usually start prorating it after 5 to 10 years anyway so at this point they wouldn't get much.

Understand.

But also consider not all warranties are pro rated. Some are full or fixed time spans. So also something to check.

And there is then the blame game. If that, this or the other was installed wrong.... warranty null in void. And so many installers voided warranty installation instructions. I actually lost a court case because of that. The cowboy installer &X@%?!! up.

Learning from that, I fired one of my window contractors because he state openly, he never went to training course offered by the manufacturer because he knew how to install windows. Maybe he did. For windows made in 1980, but these where (then) new 2013 windows with new features. So getting up to speed on what is current is important.

Last edited:
Understand.

But also consider not all warranties are pro rated. Some are full or fixed time spans. So also something to check.

And there is then the blame game. If that, this or the other was installed wrong.... warranty null in void. And so many installers voided warranty installation instructions. I actually lost a court case because of that. The cowboy installer &X@%?!! up.

Learning from that, I fired one of my window contractors because he state openly, he never went to training course offered by the manufacturer because he knew how to install windows. Maybe he did. For windows made in 1980, but these where (then) new 2013 windows with new features. So getting up to speed on what is current is important.
Oh it is absolutely worth checking if there is an issue.

Reactions: 1kzwoman