how cold at 5' high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind chill is not a factor heating the house.

LLigetfa said:

Maybe not, but the wind is.
Wind is directly proportional to chill factor.

Can't have a chill factor without wind.

When the wind blows, I have to change my stove "T-stat" inlet air setting. The flue drafts more (better) & it burns hotter.
I have a few air leaks in the house, & sometimes that's sub zero air coming in.
Not a super tight house, & don't want it to be , but the wind does effect the inside temps.
We had a week of 45 mph winds & OAT around 0° f, I burned about 30% more wood.
Wind died down, no chill factor, house & stove back to normal.

But your point is valid. It's still 0°f outside with a 45 mph wind or no wind. Things (objects) just get to 0°f quicker when the wind blows (like your skin)

But chill factor don't exist with out wind.

Just a cantankerous argument though. Chicken / egg thing.

You are right,
in theory. All being equal in perfect conditions.

But mine is based on reality. chill factor has/means wind exists, wind cools my house more than no wind. (ask my wife)
No chill factor, no wind, house don't care -6°f is -6°f, house just fine, stove just fine. Wife happy, house is warm! (scientific enough proof to me)

LLigetfa said:

Actually it is. Wind contributes to additional heat loss from your house in 2 ways.

#1 Forced convection vs. natural convection. If the frigid air is blowing across your walls harder/faster it takes away the heat faster.

#2 Air infiltration: with higher winds you get higher pressure differentials. That higher pressure leads to more cold air infiltration into your home; when cold air comes in, warm air must go out, contributing to heat-loss.

If you want more details/explanation of either one of those I can go into more details. I may even get into nerdy, engineering, heat-transfer stuff.

CountryBoy19 said:
LLigetfa said:

Actually it is. Wind contributes to additional heat loss from your house in 2 ways.

#1 Forced convection vs. natural convection. If the frigid air is blowing across your walls harder/faster it takes away the heat faster.

#2 Air infiltration: with higher winds you get higher pressure differentials. That higher pressure leads to more cold air infiltration into your home; when cold air comes in, warm air must go out, contributing to heat-loss.

If you want more details/explanation of either one of those I can go into more details. I may even get into nerdy, engineering, heat-transfer stuff.

those are the compositions of wind chill.
not mentioned in the quote

LLigetfa said:

Why not? Wind chill is the increased heat loss due to wind from a body that is warmer than the air. This heat loss can be coorelated to an air temperature at which the same heat loss would occur with the standard wind (5 mph I think?), which is the 'wind chill temperature'. Wind chill affects your house anytime your house is warmer than the outside air, which for my house is most of the winter.

I haven't been burning long enough to notice any change in wood use during windy conditions. My electric meter is read only about once every couple of months, and we have windy winters here so every month includes lots of wind, therefore I can't say if wind causes us to use more electric or not, but theoretically I think it must.

LLigetfa said:

It most defianitly is in my house. maybe not so much in a new well sealed house.

As has been stated . . . wind chill is not a factor (how the temps feel due to the wind) so much as the effect the wind does with air infiltration and "pulling" off the heat from the home. I notice a difference in my own home with higher winds . . . even though I have worked to tighten things up.

This weekend I'll have both wood stoves going at night. Generally I run one and that heats the house without too much problem. But with high winds and below zero temps I'll run the other at night to keep the house warm and the oil off. Bringing wood to my walk out basement really sucked today, too much snow. I finally plowed a path across the lawn which is filling in quickly once again

I knew after I said it that I'd get arguments. What I should have said, is "Wind Chill Factor" is not a factor. -40 to my radiator antifreeze is still -40 at 100 MPH. The outside temperature indicator on the dash doesn't change with how fast I drive.

The "Wind Chill Factor" on human skin though is very real. The effect of wind against a leaky building is obvious too.

Also, the heat index WRT to humidity usually bottoms out with the cold. After the temps drop significantly, the RH becomes 100% so dropping it further doesn't affect the index since you'll still be at 100% RH. Now if there is a North wind bringing down a mass of Arctic air, it may had been colder and some of the humidity extracted. That's how I get that good drying of my wood in Winter, cold dry wind.

LLigetfa said:
I knew after I said it that I'd get arguments. What I should have said, is "Wind Chill Factor" is not a factor. -40 to my radiator antifreeze is still -40 at 100 MPH. The outside temperature indicator on the dash doesn't change with how fast I drive.

The "Wind Chill Factor" on human skin though is very real. The effect of wind against a leaky building is obvious too.

Also, the heat index WRT to humidity usually bottoms out with the cold. After the temps drop significantly, the RH becomes 100% so dropping it further doesn't affect the index since you'll still be at 100% RH. Now if there is a North wind bringing down a mass of Arctic air, it may had been colder and some of the humidity extracted. That's how I get that good drying of my wood in Winter, cold dry wind.

I knew you were "stirring the pot"
but couldn't resist jumping in.

I just know; when the wind blows, I have to change my wood burning methods & I burn more wood.
I just know; when the wind blows, it gets colder in the house quicker

I just know; if the wind don't blow, there's no "chill factor", whether 0°f = 0°f or not, (wicky-way)

I will agree the cold air dries wood good though. (cold "dry" air at 100% humidity sounds funny though) but it's "relative" :)

If there's a 35 mph wind outside, I can sit on my couch and fly a kite.

Wind does have an effect on things beyond people. The wind chill factor deals with how cold it feels which is more extreme due to skin moisture, but there is an effect on inanimate objects.

Think about it- if things cooled at the same rate regardless of wind speed- then we would have no need of radiator fans in cars.

That there is wind also exacerbates the effect of any leaks in houses/insulation. I can feel it in my house (which has leaks) when the wind picks up significantly.

One of the pellet guys that has a tight highly insulated modern house burns at twice the rate when the wind is blowing 20 mph as when it is still. Burn rate is twice in the single digits as around freezing with the wind constant. Combine the cold, wind and my less than tight house and I now understand why the temperature in the house dropped last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.