How difficult is removing the combustion blower on the Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I have a 25-PDV and need to remove the combustion blower to clean it up.

If you've done it please share your thoughts.

Looks like the stove must be removed to remove the pipe next to it, is this true? Removing the stove or moving it forward may be tough for me.

I have changed mine on my pdvc and it's easy, it's amazing how much crap builds up on the vanes,
Check Englanders web site bet they have a procedure listed.

I Had to replace my fan a few years ago and it's easy but it will need to come fwd some. Also, I had to replace the gasket because it tore when the fan came off. I tried to becarfule but NO JOY!!

plan on replacing the gasket...its cheap so do it anyways. did you buy the stove new? did it come with the dvd? if so, spend a few minutes with the dvd and it will show if i remember correctly, how to remove the blower. if you need to clean the squirrel cage inside, use an old toothbrush, and be careful not to bend the fins. you will more than likely have to either pull the stove out or rotate it 90 deg for easy access to the back. its around 300 lbs, but spins rather easily. hope this helps.

mike

mike the gasket is not cheap to be what it is, actually appears to be a piece of foam.
I ordered a couple days ago and got shipment today, both the combustion blower gasket and he burn pot gasket plus shipping was around $33. If you see the gasket you'd think it should cost about $2 but it is about 12.

btw-this is going to be a pain to move the stove, will have to ask a friend to come over.
Also, the access panel doesn't seem to provide enough room to get the screws out, englamder should widen this panel a bit.

I just did mine a week ago. I agree about the back and side panel. The screws are harder to remove than it should be.
I was able to rotate the stove 180 degrees to work more comfortably.
Once the panel was off it wasnt hard. If you have the DVD I highly recommend watching it closely!
Mike Holten shows you whats up!

As for the cost...I took advantage of the early buy gasket deal from their website.
It was 50 something bucks for all the gaskets with some door/hopper gasket rope left for next year.
Good luck!

they actually have that early buy sale, they offered it to me also but I don't need gaskets for the augers or the hopper, so I opted for the 2 gaskets I mentioned above.

geek said:
they actually have that early buy sale, they offered it to me also but I don't need gaskets for the augers or the hopper, so I opted for the 2 gaskets I mentioned above.

you will need them eventually. I decided to take them up on the deal.

pulling the blower isnt too difficult provided you have room to work (i hate corner installs for this reason) and you WILL need the gasket , it will likely not survive removal. if you did not get the dvd or your stove predates our inclusion of one (2004 or older) order the gasket and ask for a dvd with it , its FREE with purchase (shipping only without purchase) i was actually quite pleased with how the video turned out and do appreciate the "plug" guys

you will need a 5/16th for the screws and i'd suggest a rachet and at least a 6 inch extension , longer if you have it. loosen the 5 screws first then go back and remove it make it a bit easier to get the bottom ones out. aslo when reinstaling ,start all 5 screws before tightening for the same reason. hope this helps

stoveguy2esw said:
pulling the blower isnt too difficult provided you have room to work (i hate corner installs for this reason) and you WILL need the gasket , it will likely not survive removal. if you did not get the dvd or your stove predates our inclusion of one (2004 or older) order the gasket and ask for a dvd with it , its free with purchase (shipping only without purchase) i was actually quite pleased with how the video turned out and do appreciate the "plug" guys

you will need a 5/16th for the screws and i'd suggest a rachet and at least a 6 inch extension , longer if you have it. loosen the 5 screwws first then go back and remove it make it a bit easier to get the bottom ones out. aslo when reinstaling ,start all 5 screws before tightening for the same reason. hope this helps

Mike, one last question.
Is moving the stove a MUST ?

geek said:
stoveguy2esw said:
pulling the blower isnt too difficult provided you have room to work (i hate corner installs for this reason) and you WILL need the gasket , it will likely not survive removal. if you did not get the dvd or your stove predates our inclusion of one (2004 or older) order the gasket and ask for a dvd with it , its free with purchase (shipping only without purchase) i was actually quite pleased with how the video turned out and do appreciate the "plug" guys

you will need a 5/16th for the screws and i'd suggest a rachet and at least a 6 inch extension , longer if you have it. loosen the 5 screwws first then go back and remove it make it a bit easier to get the bottom ones out. aslo when reinstaling ,start all 5 screws before tightening for the same reason. hope this helps

Mike, one last question.
Is moving the stove a MUST ?

depends, a big guy (or gal) with a tight corner install it (the blower0 may be inaccessable, i can easily get to mine but its a flat wall install so getting beside the stove at the blower is not a problem. so in most basic installs moving the stove shouldnt be a must, but in corner installs or a hearth mount it may be necessary. i would note that as stated above if you have a cordless or drill and a 5/16ths bit with extension , its really a snap to pull and reinstall the blower. annual cleaning of the blower and exhaust chamber is a very quick job for me (partially because i do it for a living so working on these stoves is second nature to me) i can pull the blower, vac out the exhaust chamber clean the blower fan blades and reinstall in 20-30 minutes easy. for vac part of the job , i use a shop vac with a cone attachment , and a 2 ft long piece of garden hose with tape wrapped around it to make it tight to stuff into the cone attachment rather than tape it onto the cone , that way i can use it as an attachment with ease i use it to clean the front end and heat exchangers during the season as well, makes a great cleaning tool. hope this helps

thanks mike, I have a corner install but have room to work on the fan through the side panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.