How disconnect insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwertyjjj

Nov 24, 2014
Canada
My stove is connected to an insert instead a previous brick chimney (external).
I need to disconnect the insert and remove the stove so I can put in a block off plate.
Is there anyway to support the insert as I do this to prevent it falling down the chimney? Chimney is maybe 40ft height 3 storeys plus the extra beyond rooftop.

Last edited:
You're description is a little hard to understand. Is this an insert in a masonry fireplace?

You're description is a little hard to understand. Is this an insert in a masonry fireplace?

Yes, 40ft liner inside old exterior masonry chimney.
I'm wondering how the inserts are supported or suspended in the masonry chimney?
When I unscrew the insert from the stove, remove the stove and pull it out of the masonry cavity, won't the insert just fall?

Must I lift it up a bit from the top of the chimney, remove it completely, support it at the top somehow?

The liner should be supported at the top. I've seen some that aren't installed properly though, that would fall if you removed the insert.

I think "insert" = liner and "stove" = insert. But I'm not sure.

20170813_080954.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-13-21-53-24.png Do I have to lift the liner up to disconnect it from the stove?
If so, how can I keep the liner supported or will it just come out easy enough? I had assumed a 40' liner would be heavy?

There's no way just to disconnect the liner from stove and pull the stove out somehow?

There really is no way for us to know how your liner is hooked up. Usually on a rigid liner for an insert like you have there will be a section of flex on the bottom. And usually you can unhook that prettyveasily

I would just use a prybar to lift the liner off of the insert. If it falls, it'll only be a short distance.

Is there anything such as rigid liner that is put in in sections? So, it's connected together at the chimney in stages and lowered down and then the stove supports all the weight?

I'm guessing a flexible liner just hangs from the top of chimney?

Is there anything such as rigid liner that is put in in sections? So, it's connected together at the chimney in stages and lowered down and then the stove supports all the weight?

I'm guessing a flexible liner just hangs from the top of chimney?
Yes that is how rigid liners are done. But they are still hung from the top. But just because it should be done one way does not mean much. There really is only one way to find out pull the surround and see what is there.

1st make sure you have the liner properly anchors at the top plate, there should be a clasp with either self tapping screws or rivets. Then at the stove from the inside feel with your hand around the stove collar for metal self tapping screws. You will need to remove the baffle board and reburn tubes to do this, (if you have a newer stove) FYI if your liner is a flex liner you should have an appliance adapter at the stove collar connection, if the insert fits in the fireplace very tightly (vertical clearance) then its more likely the installer bolted the liner from the inside of the stove than the outside.

1st make sure you have the liner properly anchors at the top plate, there should be a clasp with either self tapping screws or rivets. Then at the stove from the inside feel with your hand around the stove collar for metal self tapping screws. You will need to remove the baffle board and reburn tubes to do this, (if you have a newer stove) FYI if your liner is a flex liner you should have an appliance adapter at the stove collar connection, if the insert fits in the fireplace very tightly (vertical clearance) then its more likely the installer bolted the liner from the inside of the stove than the outside.
I can see where the liner connects to stove if I remove the face plate. With a long screwdriver driver couldn't I undo them? It's quite tight.
Not sure how to remove baffle.

Well every brand is different, your going to have to some reverse engineering, perhaps look up a parts list in the manual, most stoves show a unit that is "gapped" out with numbers showing where and how each piece is put together

You will need to remove the surround panels. Rarely does the liner attach from the inside.

Unbolt it then! It's still going to be supported at the top. Unbolt it, pry the liner up out of the flue collar and pull the stove out. Get er done...