How do I cover my 10X10 hole from my clay lined chimney??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I thought this would be a slam dunk. I went to 1 local sweep shop and nothing. I tried Home Depot and and then called 3 other fireplace shops and still nothing. Isnt this just a simple ceiling thimble? My clay lined chimney stops in my basement ceiling right in the corner. I have the black pipe for my stove and just ran a new liner down the chimney but I need something to connect the 2 and cover this hole in my ceiling. Thanks in advance guys

Not sure I understand completely but can't you just use a chimney cap - albeit you are using it for the bottom rather than the top. Got a pic?

I never heard of a masonry chimney terminating in the ceiling!

Can you send a pic?

Normally, the tile would come down in the wall and be connected to well below the ceiling. I suspect if you have some strange setup we can work around it with insulated pipe, etc. - but we need a drawing or pic;

This picture should help. I guess I could use a chimney cap instead but it would look kind of weird. Isn't this a common product? One chimney sweep told me I need to find brickyard??? I can just hear the voice on the other end of the phone - "You need a WHAT buddy?"

Attachments

• thimble.jpg
    thimble.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 336
Here is what the previous owner used to connect his smoke dragon. Too bad it reduces to 8" and not 6". I'll get some more pictures Craiig. There is fire retardant foam insulation on the walls that you see.

Attachments

• oldth.jpg
    oldth.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 293
Maybe this makes more sense.

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 301
Second parallel chimney for 1st floor hearth

Attachments

• hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 271
Better pic of basement termination. That is cement everywhere near the termination. The particle board is about 2' away. I plan to come stright out of the ceiling with a 45 elbow. If the fire retardant foam is too close I can scrape it off the walls or build a heat shield.

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 299
I would just use a wall thimble. The stove shop will know what that is.

That is one interesting setup. I like it. Removing the foam and using a wall thimble and the 45 is what I would do. But everybody knows I'm nuts already.

That is a strange, strange, strange way of doing the bottom of a flue.
I've never seen one done without an ashpit like that.

The clay liner just sits on concrete ?

Heck, I don't know what I'm looking at anymore. All I can tell is that two edges of the clay liner are resting on the outer walls and the other two are just unsupported in midair there. I found a crack in the concrete/mortar around the clay liner and I can see up in there. there are bricks surrounding the clay liner. Is this right? I even went through the pictures of the house being built but couldn't tell what was going on. I'm no carpenter, heck I couldn't even play one on TV.

Is there good potential here for building a hearth from scratch? I don't know how well the Englander 30 will heat the house from down there. If it doesn't work out I am going to look at something with ductwork to pipe the heat upstairs.

Next question. How in the heck am I going to put an OAK in down there? Should I drill through the concrete slab?

I am trying figure out why you put a stove down there instead of in the fireplace on the first floor?

BrotherBart said:
I am trying figure out why you put a stove down there instead of in the fireplace on the first floor?

Good question. I think I actually gave it some consideration but the plan is to finish the basement and spend most of our time down there in the winter. Besides I'm not too keen on the way a stove looks in a fireplace.

Rockey said:
Besides I'm not too keen on the way a stove looks in a fireplace.

Ackkk! :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
Rockey said:
Besides I'm not too keen on the way a stove looks in a fireplace.

Ackkk! :coolgrin:

Man, you should here how much flack I catch already for the 55 gallon drum in the den. Its non stop, just like when we drove to Florida for vacation this year. All I heard was, "its cold, its windy, I wanna ride inside the minivan."

So you have 2 flues in that chimney, the entire chimney has a sufficient foundation and one of the flues terminates in the ceiling. Pretty cool I think - designed to add a stove or whatever.

Still trying to orient myself though - which corner is that? If it is that corner of the house, it would appear that the flue takes a few turns?? Back up and take a pic of that corner for me...

...and I too like inserts and hearth stoves...

Rockey said:
All I heard was, "its cold, its windy, I wanna ride inside the minivan."

Never let'em ride inside. They, like, get used to it and spoiled.

Oh, I think I get it - that is poured concrete around it. Yeah, a little different than usual.

Lots of ways to finish it off. You could get creative something like this- buy a small piece of 7" pipe and a 7 to 6 adapter - with no crimped end if possible -or a crimped end on the top (7")- you might have to slightly cut out the 6" side a little bigger to have the flex to straight stainless steel adapter come down through this. First screw the flex to the adapter (you probably have) which adapts to regular 6", then slide this little black assembly up around the whole deal - into the flue tile....with the result being the bottom of your adapter sticking out the bottom of the 7 to 6 so you can attach your black pipe to it.

The space around could be closed off with a large trim ring with two sides cut flat - or a custom made and painted piece of sheet metal.

Or just put a wall thimble up there with three Tapcons in it into the concrete, attach the pipe to it and light that sumbitch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.