How do I properly cut very old flexible PVC so it won't leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
The picture shows a 25 year old PVC line that goes to a refrigerator's water dispenser. It's cracked where the ferrule inserts, so its leaking. The view is from the bottom rear of the fridge and I can just barely move 3" of line outside the fridge for access. Not much slack if I make a mistake and cut it too short.

I want to cut out the cracked section (1/2" or so) but don't know how to get a proper clean and square cut. I'm afraid to use the squeeze type razor cutters on such old PVC since it will probably crush it. I know the right answer is to replace the entire line but its internal to the fridge and I don't want to get into that. I was considering a hacksaw blade but not sure if that will be a clean/square enough cut.

My plumbing skills are not great, I'm lucky if a brand new faucet doesn't drip when I close it.

tempImageJWuO25.png

Last edited:
I would go to the back to the of the fridge and replace it from there. I like the push in fittings for small waterlines.

Otherwise to answer your question I would insert a dowl and cut around it with a sharp blade. I use the nut to draw a nice line with a fine tip sharpie.

I would go to the back to the of the fridge and replace it from there. I like the push in fittings for small waterlines.

Otherwise to answer your question I would insert a dowl and cut around it with a sharp blade. I use the nut to draw a nice line with a fine tip sharpie.
I'm not sure about replacing the line, I would have to gut the bottom of the fridge which might cause more problems.

What is the "push in" fitting? Is it different from the ferrule?

The dowel idea is interesting, I guess you would still have to be careful to make a perfect cut around the tube on the marked sharpie line.

YZM 3/8" OD Quick Connect Push In to Connect Water Tube Fitting (3/8" quick conncet) Amazon product ASIN B074JH9W53
You would have to at some point Connect to the Ferrell. since I started using these every line has a shutoff valve. Comes in 1/4 and 3/8.

I personally wouldn't use an old water line from a fridge. I professionally replace plenty of sheetrock caused by those inferior refrigerator water lines. ( I also wouldn't use the new refrigerator lines)

Reactions: bigealta
YZM 3/8" OD Quick Connect Push In to Connect Water Tube Fitting (3/8" quick conncet) Amazon product ASIN B074JH9W53
You would have to at some point Connect to the Ferrell. since I started using these every line has a shutoff valve. Comes in 1/4 and 3/8.
These look interesting thank you for posting.
Do these Quick Connects still need a perfect square cut? If they do, what makes them easier/better than the old ferrul/nut setup?

I personally wouldn't use an old water line from a fridge. I professionally replace plenty of sheetrock caused by those inferior refrigerator water lines. ( I also wouldn't use the new refrigerator lines)
The line connecting to the fridge is copper. The lines internally to the fridge are inferior plastic, not sure how to replace them without gutting the fridge and causing more problems.

These look interesting thank you for posting.
Do these Quick Connects still need a perfect square cut? If they do, what makes them easier/better than the old ferrul/nut setup?
Cuts don’t have to be perfect. All sealing is in the exterior of the pipe about 1/4” behind the cut.

Cuts don’t have to be perfect. All sealing is in the exterior of the pipe about 1/4” behind the cut.
Is this true for both the push on and also for ferrule style? Cuts dont have to be perfect for either?

OK now I am confused. I removed the other line from the ice maker control valve since it also showed signs of leaking and it turned out the 1/4" plastic line was broken inside the valve. But I don't understand why there was NO PLASTIC SLEEVE inside that 1/4" line like the one that I am showing in this picture.

The sleeve in the picture came from the 3/8" line that went to the water dispenser side of the control valve.
Does it make sense the ice maker 1/4" side has no sleeve? Both lines seem to have ferrules built into the plastic nuts.

I just looked up the Fridge diagram and it only shows one Sleeve insert used in the control valve and it shows it only on the water line side just like on my fridge. I guess I have my answer, its not used on the the ice maker 1/4" side but it makes no sense unless smaller lines don't need the sleeve.

plastic sleeve.jpg

Last edited:
at that age i would not use the ice maker. it's a flood waiting to happen.

Yea that's why I have water bug alerts under the lines! They have saved me a few times around the house.

Their is nothing to changing the water line u just take the access panel off the fridge and change it. For the main water line i would not be using that PVC and switch it out to a braided stainless line. Anything after your main water line hook up to the fridge if your going to change it go to your local appliance repair shop and get the proper hose and fittings or have them come and fix it... Should never be using PVC as the main line for the fridge as it could easily break if someone pulls out the fridge to clean.. You lucky it has not failed while everyone is out of the house..

The main water line to the fridge is coiled copper. The broken line is PVC which is inside the fridge.

I think its one continuous PVC line running from the control valve to the water dispenser in the door - If I'm lucky maybe there is a coupling splice after the freezer door.

Last edited: