How do i replace a fixed grate Dutchwest FA264CCL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hcd

Mar 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have never been on a forum and I am exhausted from just trying to register i would rather split wood can someone direct me to the correct location.
How do i replace a fixed grate in a 40 year old consolidate dutchwest Federal Convection Heater FA264CCL?

You made it! Welcome.

I think a picture would be helpful. I had a similar stove, but I do not get what you need to know...

My old CDW was a cast stove. There should be fasteners holding it together. After 30 years they may be hard to back out.

I am guessing this is the front or side grates above the moving grate?

I am guessing this is the front or side grates above the moving grate?

I had a front grate that was just slid into place (no bolts), there were the rotating shaker grates (for coal), but no grate on top of that. There were no side grates, nor slits to slide parts into that I did not have.

ok. Maybe my non-native language skills; a grate for me has holes. The side grates just slide in. There is also one with slits that is as tall but wider (and with significant corners cut off) and goes behind the front doors.

The rocker "grates" (apparently) may need a bold undone as they are under the grate frame (a rim around the hole in which they are mounted).
However, those are meant for coal burning. If you burn wood (w/o the under-air in the ash-door open!), there is no need for these rocker grates. If they are stuck, I'd just leave them be. Use a shovel to move the ash (mostly) through into the ashdrawer.

Edit, indeed, the (a... - many similar models over time) manual mentions grates. This one (attached) may be useful.

Attachments

• Service.pdf
    519.1 KB · Views: 468
Reactions: begreen
Thanks for posting, that's grate. :) It's for the newer version but this doc should be helpful to @hcd.

Reactions: stoveliker