How do you clean a SS chimney with an offset in it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clodhopper

Nov 14, 2009
NE PA
Due to a construction project and in an effort to have my stove more centrally located I am trying to move it into another room of the house. Unfortunately, the only place I can possibly put it would make it so that the pipe comes through the roof right under the soffit of another section of the house. I know they make 15 degree elbows, but I am not sure how well a chimney brush would handle the off set. The other option would be to keep the chimney straight and cut the soffit to accommodate it. Any advice?
Thanks,
Clodhopper

My ss chimney is installed with 2-15 degree offsets and I can clean it with the standard fiberglass rods. They do bind up a little, you just need to keep trying. It would be nice to have a straight run so you could look down it to see how clean it is. You can't with the offset.

I too have offsets, two 30deg bends around a soffit. I use the 6' fiberglass rods to navigate the bends and have no problems. I have a 3' section of stright pipe between the bends. I also do bottom up cleanings through the cleanout tee.

I am in the same boat as Jack Straw. You will get use to the feel when you hit the offset. It is very nice to de able to this on the ground, instead of the roof.

KC

I have two 30 degree offsets and the glass rods have no problem with it. I clean top-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.