Secure Through Wall Chimney Offset - Duraplus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Feldzpar

Nov 10, 2023
Minnesota
Thanks for the great website and forum everyone! It's been tons of help.
My question: How do people secure an offset with a through the wall chimney installation?
The DuraPlus instructions apply only to a through the attic installation, not the through the wall installation.
They say "Secure Offset: Place the Elbow Strap’s band around the angled portion of the top Elbow, then tighten the nut and bolt until the clamp is firm. Wrap the Elbow Strap end over an adjacent joist or rafter and secure it." And that's it.
CleanShot 2023-11-28 at 09.18.13@2x.png

Since I will be using 2 straps for my setup, I am thinking the first will mount to the wall of the house and the second to the soffit. My concern is that the first strap to the wall will be angled and not vertical. Any tips? Any concerns? Please share pics if you have them. Any quick replies are helpful, as I plan to install today.
Thanks again

Thanks for the great website and forum everyone! It's been tons of help.
My question: How do people secure an offset with a through the wall chimney installation?
The DuraPlus instructions apply only to a through the attic installation, not the through the wall installation.
They say "Secure Offset: Place the Elbow Strap’s band around the angled portion of the top Elbow, then tighten the nut and bolt until the clamp is firm. Wrap the Elbow Strap end over an adjacent joist or rafter and secure it." And that's it.
View attachment 319679
Since I will be using 2 straps for my setup, I am thinking the first will mount to the wall of the house and the second to the soffit. My concern is that the first strap to the wall will be angled and not vertical. Any tips? Any concerns? Please share pics if you have them. Any quick replies are helpful, as I plan to install today.
Thanks again
Pretty sure dura doesn't allow offsets outside

Interesting. I haven't seen a restriction on any of their documentation or website, and I've seen others do it. Like in this video here for example.

I sent an email to duravent support to ask them. We will see their response, if they even respond. To date Duravent support stinks at responding.

What do others do to attach their outside offsets?

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't seen that restriction that on any of their documentation or website, and I've seen others do it. Like in this video here for example.

I send an email to duravent support to ask them. We will see their response, if they even respond. To date, Duravent support stinks at responding.

What do others do to attach their outside offsets?
I don't do exterior offsets so I don't know

I was offsetting through my exterior wall into a chase; right or wrong I ran my offset straps back to the sides of a 2x4 on the wall. The straps weren't wanting to rotate around to surface mount to the wall, and then I put a wall bracket 2' above the elbow.

Duravent support says DuraPlus offsets can be used for "dodging the overhang or eave above when running up an exterior wall.... Nailing straps to anything solid like the framing in the wall is OK…anything solid." So looks like I have my answer.

I just went through looking this up for DuraPlus in another thread. I am pretty sure that at one point they said no to outside offsets but now there is nothing in their literature saying yes or no. Companies may be changing their policy. In another thread I checked with Excel and they said it's ok.
The main thing is take weight off of the elbow joints to avoid splitting. Support them well above and below and at the offset chimney section.