How do you clean the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I just bought a used earth stove and want to install it this weekend. I will clean the liner before installing the pellet stove, but I have no idea how to clean the liner after it is installed. It looks like the creosote will fall into the back of the stove and I won't be able to vacuum it out. I have never owned a pellet stove. I have a wood stove and clean it yearly. Just don't know when and how to clean the pellet stove.

A clean-out T in the back, just off the stove, will cure this. Or remove the combustion blower every year when you clean it?

My quad has ammo can style latches, pop them then up goes the soot eater ,badabing and chicken wings, that liner is shining.

This is a pellet stove insert so I can't get at any of the pipe once I install it. I can't seem to find a way to access the pipe from inside the stove either. I really don't want to pull the stove to clean the pipe every year!

That's what I used to think, now I pull that stove and hit it in no time.

There must be a quick disconnect available for the liner, im also eyeing a diy rail kit a sparky built and posted around here recently, cant remember the user name.

Or your hopping on the roof.

There is a great youtube video in a recent post. He used what looked like a broom stick for the first 3 feet and then didn't worry about the other 30 feet. Lol

But seriously I use a clean out T. Many others use a leaf vacuum and a lint eater. http://www.linteater.com/

I am anxious to try this method later in the year.

I have a soot eater and will use this on the liner. I will hit it from the roof for sure because there is no way that I have found to clean the pipe from the stove. And it is a two story pipe. How do vacuum out everything you clean out?

Used without permission: :p

Really?!?! That is a great idea! I guess I can't believe that works???

The leaf blower trick is one of the greatest things found on this site.

BTW- That is smoke shows Mt. Vernon AE posted (courtesy of my Account ;))

It not only works, but works great!! (After a regular cleaning).

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
The leaf blower trick is one of the greatest things found on this site.

BTW- That is smoke shows Mt. Vernon AE posted (courtesy of my Account ;))

It not only works, but works great!! (After a regular cleaning).
Figured you were getting there Dexter! Just beat ya to the punch.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.