How do you get your pellets into your basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMPS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2010
Coastal, Maine
Question, those of you storing your pellets in the basement how do you do get them down into the basement? By hand or some other method?
I have a ramp that I built, with plywood and pieces of Styrofoam insulation, and lots of duck tape. I put it over the stairs and slide the bags down it. Then pick them up again at the bottom of the stairs put them in my wheel barrel to take them to the other side of the basement and stack them.

Question, those of you storing your pellets in the basement how do you do get them down into the basement? By hand or some other method?
I have a ramp that I built, with plywood and pieces of Styrofoam insulation, and lots of duck tape. I put it over the stairs and slide the bags down it. Then pick them up again at the bottom of the stairs put them in my wheel barrel to take them to the other side of the basement and stack them.
I will be watching this thread! I have been bringing them down the bulkhead stairs one bag at a time and stacking them on the other end of the basement about 20' from the bulkhead. I am curious to see what others have done. Pictures are always nice!

I will post some pics when I get my next delivery, 3 tons coming from SIB on 5/12

If you have stairs to go down? Borrow the kids slide and use that to slide them down to a partner. Cutting out the stairs saves the legs. When its just me, I just sling them up on a shoulder and walk them down to the stash area.

I have a cement bulkhead and found if the wife helps it takes longer, a couple of times in the past few years did get help from sons and every once in a while there would be a friend which was a plus. This past year just me 4 tons neatly stacked all labels facing the same way OCD,(you are not the only one Mad Dog), a great work-out but I am trying to recruit the Swedish Bikini girls to help out this year.:cool:

3 buddies, 3 pizzas, and 2 cases of beer. 6 tons stacked neatly in my cellar in a little over an hour. Good thing my friends work cheap!

One bag at a time. Did a ton Friday and another Saturday. Fortunately help showed uo each day so I only did a ton altogether. Semi crippled right now, but I'm still able to lift 12 oz.

One bag at a time. Did a ton Friday and another Saturday. Fortunately help showed uo each day so I only did a ton altogether. Semi crippled right now, but I'm still able to lift 12 oz.
I can see a pint in your future:cool:

I have a cement bulkhead and found if the wife helps it takes longer, a couple of times in the past few years did get help from sons and every once in a while there would be a friend which was a plus. This past year just me 4 tons neatly stacked all labels facing the same way OCD,(you are not the only one Mad Dog), a great work-out but I am trying to recruit the Swedish Bikini girls to help out this year.:cool:

Yep... One bag at a time. Keep them straight and neat as Defiant said ;)

One stack started to lean a bit. Bugs me every time I go downstairs. Then the pellets in the garage are not quite as neat. But they will make there way downstairs soon. And will be meticulously stacked also. ligs-1.jpg ligs2-1.jpg pellets3.jpg

Reactions: Defiant
That's the problem with having help. Bags are facing the wrong way, upside down, stack not straight. I cringe everytime I go downstairs.

Yep... One bag at a time. Keep them straight and neat as Defiant said ;)

One stack started to lean a bit. Bugs me every time I go downstairs. Then the pellets in the garage are not quite as neat. But they will make there way downstairs soon. And will be meticulously stacked also.View attachment 66232 View attachment 66233 View attachment 66234
Water buckets look great but for some reason wrenches on the wall look like they have dust on them;)

We use two 2x10 planks side by side for a "slide" and zing em down the stairs....usually my son up top and me downstairs.

I ripped a piece of plywood to a hair under the width of my bulkhead and place it on the stairs...then commence to sliding the bacgs down the chute....most of them make it intact, if youre careful......

I have it easy. Used to be a garage in my basement. Unload the bags into a wheelbarrel, and down the ramp I go. Doesnt take long to unload a ton of pellets.

I pick up a ton in my F150 pickup.
When I get home I back up close to the 4 downward steps that go into my basement.
I open the pallet and make 3 bag stacks 6 bags high on the tailgate.
From the ground I flip two bags at a time onto my shoulder and carry them down and into the basement.

I stack them on an empty pallet in the storage area in the same 3/2-2/3 stack pattern as factory.

I can unload a ton in about 1/2 hour. 25 trips 80 lbs each trip.
---Nailer--

In the next few weeks I'll be building my pellet bin in a corner of my basement. Then later this year the bulk delivery guys can bring me 2 tons or so of Energex and blow them into the bin. I'll have a PVC pipe angled into the bin to the exterior of the house. I used to have a marble slab I put down the basement steps to slide the bags down but I did that for 3 seasons and that's enough.

In the next few weeks I'll be building my pellet bin in a corner of my basement. Then later this year the bulk delivery guys can bring me 2 tons or so of Energex and blow them into the bin. I'll have a PVC pipe angled into the bin to the exterior of the house. I used to have a marble slab I put down the basement steps to slide the bags down but I did that for 3 seasons and that's enough.
What is the going rate for bulk pellets?

I pick up a ton in my F150 pickup.
When I get home I back up close to the 4 downward steps that go into my basement.
I open the pallet and make 3 bag stacks 6 bags high on the tailgate.
From the ground I flip two bags at a time onto my shoulder and carry them down and into the basement.

I stack them on an empty pallet in the storage area in the same 3/2-2/3 stack pattern as factory.

I can unload a ton in about 1/2 hour. 25 trips 80 lbs each trip.
---Nailer--

Hercule's...Hercule's...Hercule's!

For me it would be flip two bags onto my shoulder, fall down steps, go to emergency room and get bones reset, get home, find some kid and pay him $50.00 to unload the remainder for me.

Ton unloaded in 6-10 days depending on hospital stay and abilty to find a kid that is willing to work these days!

Moral to story...Fat old man unload one bag at a time and take many beer breaks!

Hercule's...Hercule's...Hercule's!

For me it would be flip two bags onto my shoulder, fall down steps, go to emergency room and get bones reset, get home, find some kid and pay him $50.00 to unload the remainder for me.

Ton unloaded in 6-10 days depending on hospital stay and abilty to find a kid that is willing to work these days!

Moral to story...Fat old man unload one bag at a time and take many beer breaks!

And skip the tighty whitey dance?

Reactions: smoke show
Piggyback forklift drops the pallets a few feet from the basement bulkhead.
Then I just carry the bags in one at a time. 6 ton stacked for next season so far.

What is the going rate for bulk pellets?
Hey Waz! I am in Nortern VT and hope to do bulk as well! Only one dealer that does that, so it's of a sure thing. I want to get/build a bin (2 ton) against a wall so that it doesn't waste space. I don't know if anyone makes rectangular bags? Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.