How do you guys keep moisture out during the summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
Just like the title, how do you guys keep moisture out of your boilers during the summer? I'm not dripping condensation or anything but I used 3 of the "damp rid" 10 oz moisture collectors and within 2 month they were full of liquid. they were the small containers but still.

I've read a combination of transmission fluid and diesel fuel sprayed on inside steel parts in a thin film works to prevent rust spots but not sure I want to go that route yet.

There are low wattage resistance heaters available for gun safes that reduce condensation but I can't say if something like that would work given the mass of he boiler and water. I think it will.
I would try a sixty watt bulb since an incandescent bulb is nothing but a heater that puts out a little light as opposed to an LED bulb that's a light that puts out a little heat. Shouldn't cost much to run.

Ok. I'll give the light bulb a try. Every year, since owning it, at start up for the season there's a ton of liquid that forms all throughout my heat exchanger in the water jacket. I mean water pouring out the door gasket. So if I can fight off some of that it would be great.

Not sure if it’s the same thing, but if the Garn water temp goes below 100 degf and you fire, you will get condensation on the inside of the flue tubes that will run out the draft inducer gasket, at 110 deg it’s dry

The moisture from a dead cold start is condensing from the steam boiling out of the wood.
I wouldn't think it would do any harm if your heating it on up.

My antique boilers I coat with boiled linseed oil when laid up for the winter. It dries to a hard coating in about a day. Raw linseed oil takes much longer to dry on metal, and is better for wood since it is allowed to soak into the wood longer before drying.

Ok. I'll give the light bulb a try. Every year, since owning it, at start up for the season there's a ton of liquid that forms all throughout my heat exchanger in the water jacket. I mean water pouring out the door gasket. So if I can fight off some of that it would be great.
I'll be interested in the outcome.

The moisture from a dead cold start is condensing from the steam boiling out of the wood.
I wouldn't think it would do any harm if your heating it on up.
With similar conditions, condensation will occur with any fuel since water is a byproduct of combustion. That's why chimneys steam.

Reactions: E Yoder
I think the op is talking about standby in summer during non use when the water temp is below the ambient air temp, causing the firebox and hx tubes to sweat. This sweat combined with creosote causes a acidic product that will pit steel, resulting in pinhole leaks. For this I’ve heard of the lightbulb mentioned.

Reactions: E Yoder
Yes, that constant moisture would concern me. Much more than a few minutes of startup sweating.

The moisture is only during the summer. At start up each year as soon as the water hits 110-115 everything is dry. But during the summer months when I'm not firing it builds moisture from humidity. I live IL so we have some pretty humid summers.