How do you guys sharpen your fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
My axe need some love just wondering how you guys sharpen yours

It's soft metal so a flat file works great for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the one recommend for it when I got mine on Amazon. It works awesome

Search Amazon for:

Smith's 50582 Axe and machete sharpener

Ah i saw that at home depot but didnt know if it was any good, i'll grab on on my way home from work tomorrow
Once awhile a few strokes and you done, you will feel how it grab

I touch mine gently and quickly with the grinder (fine wheel)
in one pass as the metal is soft-ish. Doesn't seem to
need it more than once or twice a year for me.
What is a good thing also is keeping the sides clean to
reduce frictional loss during the split. (WD-40)

CheapMark

I like to give it a few passes with a file. Doesn't really need more than that but sometimes I'll use a soapstone but the file is what does the trick.

A flat file works. Using an angle grinder is definitely very risky, you dont want to overheat the metal. I have very old wet grinding wheel for cleaning up really worn out edges. Works great, the stone runs through a trough filled with water.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I use a flat file to smooth out the rough edges keeping mind of the angle and then some passes through the Fiskars axe sharpener till it splits a hair....lol. Ok the last part about the hair I made up. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I have the fiskars sharpener but I prefer a flat file.

I just lightly file the blade as needed. So far it has needed some honing here & there.

Picked up the sharpener, did a really good job on the machete, haven't tried it out on the axe yet but i think it will do good based on how it did on the machete

Reactions: Lone_Gun and lsucet
flat file mostly, dremel every so often when I'm in the mood.

Flat file here as well.

These are handy for any edge that needs maintenance and easy to keep handy with your other processing tools, in your pocket, or in your vehicle. Perfect for the Fiskars.

Stone.jpg

Reactions: redyute
i use a flat file most of the time, but if i really need to bring it back, i use a coarse stone, a fine stone, and extra fine stone...