How do you split your wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8 lb Menard's special maul gets 70% of the work. Huskee 22 ton (horizontal) for the ugly stuff.

lukem said:
8 lb Menard's special maul gets 70% of the work. Huskee 22 ton (horizontal) for the ugly stuff.

I can appreciate that. I don't mind doing a little splitting by hand. The exercise and aerobics is good for me. But I'm trying to justify owning a splitter and if I save it just for the uglies I definitely can't justify it. I'd be much better off throwing the crotches and other uglies into a pile and renting a splitter maybe once a year to do that hard stuff.

A splitter would certainly take some wear and tear off my elbows and shoulders. I could still split the nice, straight pieces by hand. I have a lot of water oak and it splits like a dream with my Fiskers SS. In some ways, it's faster to split by hand and lots of guys are always boasting they can split much faster with a maul or axe than with a hydraulic splitter but that begs a question.....

Can you out split hydraulics by hand- hour after hour? Day after Day? Honestly?

How long would it take you split your annual burn by hand? How quickly could you do it with say... a Huskee 22 ton?

I'm not challenging anyone's manhood. I'm just trying to figure all of this out with an equation that includes time, labor, toll on your body, equipment cost, and operating costs. Labor and body toll can be greatly impacted by age and overall health condition.

Cascade Failure said:
Horizontally of course.

Sorry guys, I work quicker on my feet, not my butt.

My back shot! Lifting rounds is no longer in the cards for me. (roll it fo me)

At 5 cord per year, my splitter sees 1.5 cord of uglies. If it is nice, straight, relatively clear rounds abot 8 -14 inches, I can outrun the splitter with a maul...for several hours if not all day. But then again, I just turned 30 if that means much. I only bought the splitter because my neighbor is letting me cut a lot of hedge, and some of it I can't even get with a wedge.

woodsmaster said:
I split what I can by hand and save the hard pieces. Then once a year I borrow a friends spliter and split the hard ones. Often after the rounds that dont split sit for about a year they split right open by hand.

Same here! I save the nasties for the machine. I usually dont have more than a cord of those a year.

My favorite splitting routine is to alternate between a 12-15lb all-metal maul and a Fiskar's x25 or similar.

#1 Both have situations where they are most appropriate. I like the fiskars for straightgrained stuff of modest size. I like the maul for huge rounds or really tough to split stuff.

#2 Alternating lets me continue splitting with the axe that feels like a featherweight after the maul, while not stopping completely to rest.

#3 It just feels immensely satisfying to switch from the light and agile axe to the crusher. I get more out of it from a personal standpoint.

I've got the x25 and I thought I would get the x27 next, but I think I'm just sticking to the maul & axe.

I only use a wedge & sledge if the axe/maul just aren't biting. However, even with fresh-cut elm where the axe and maul bounced off, I found that 5-6 swings and suddenly one wouldn't bounce - it'd split it.

Kenster said:
Can you out split hydraulics by hand- hour after hour? Day after Day? Honestly?

How long would it take you split your annual burn by hand?
I leave the house, head out into the woods, cut down a tree, cut it up, split it with my 6 pound maul, load the splits on the trailer, haul it back to the house, and stack it. 1/6th of a full cord, in just under an hour on average. For my own house I burn no more than 5 cord per year. So, that would be 30 hours to process all the wood I need to heat my house. I also sell a little. Sold over 20 cord this last winter, which I also processed with the same routine, splitting by hand, but with the additional work of being stuck in the snow with my ATV a lot!

In years past I helped an old uncle process his firewood with a hydraulic splitter. It was slower and much harder on my back and knees rolling those rounds to the splitter than it is carrying my 6 pound maul to the rounds instead. But, he paid over $1000 for the splitter and insisted that I had to use it while making his firewood. Old people! (shaking my head) Oh wait, I guess I'm one of those old people now too!

And yes, I do it day after day, nearly everyday (just came in from the woods for a sandwich now). I'm not a kid anymore (even if I don't like to admit it). I am the oldest generation in my family nowadays, grandparents are long gone, both parents gone 25 years ago......

Cascade Failure said:
Horizontally of course.

I do it vertical so that I don't have to be quick. Work slower with less effort and get the same amount done. ;-)

bought a chain saw in '84 (husky) and the dealer threw in a splitter for free. had your choice of that or a helmet. i figured i would get a lot more use from the splitter as opposed to the safety helmet. man oh man, did i ever call that one!
this year, i am finally considering buying a hydraulic splitter h/v with gas powered engine...just haven't found the the "right" one yet, so, that means i am still splitting by hand. yeah, still the same chain saw, too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cascade Failure said:
Horizontally of course.

I do it vertical so that I don't have to be quick. Work slower with less effort and get the same amount done. ;-)

Exactly.I'm in no rush now.Even the days that I seem to feel 100% (which is rare compared to 10 yrs ago),I dont push myself & take a short break when I start to feel tired.Slow & steady wins the race like the old saying goes.

Since 1988 that splitter has cost $30 a year amortized out. And my shoulders quit hurting all the time after I bought it. Ain't no other way it would get done around here. That splitter quits and I can't fix it, I am getting a heat pump or buying c/s/d.

I hand split some. But not enough that you would notice it.

So I just purchased the new Fiskars x25 and I was really impressed.
Now I have limited splitting experience and when I first started I went with the previous generation Fiskars because I read a lot of positives and I liked the idea of a light weight tool that I could swing for an extended period of time if need be.

So the other day while at Wal-Mart I noticed they had the x25. Lifting it up I immediately noticed the extra weight. After mulling it over for a couple days I decided to get one, $40.
I have to say I really like that little bit of extra weight. Not too heavy, but enough to give the splits a little something extra. I only managed to split a few rounds in between the rain drops, but I really liked the way it handled and seemed to go through the rounds much easier. I think Fiskars got it right.

weatherguy said:
Since Im now a scrounge addict and have 3 1/2 cords of rounds to split I was just wondering how everyone splits their wood. Do you own a splitter, rent a splitter, use a Fiskars. I have at least 2 more cords coming so Ill have 5 cords to split minimum. This wood is for future winters, not this year so I can take some time doing it. I split some of the smaller rounds with my home depot splitter, the oak I have split nice and easy but maybe I should rent a splitter and knock it off one weekend.
So, Im interested in hearing how you guys handle your wood.

split by hand using Fiskar axes

Jaugust124 said:
So I just purchased the new Fiskars x25 and I was really impressed.
Now I have limited splitting experience and when I first started I went with the previous generation Fiskars because I read a lot of positives and I liked the idea of a light weight tool that I could swing for an extended period of time if need be.

So the other day while at Wal-Mart I noticed they had the x25. Lifting it up I immediately noticed the extra weight. After mulling it over for a couple days I decided to get one, $40.
I have to say I really like that little bit of extra weight. Not too heavy, but enough to give the splits a little something extra. I only managed to split a few rounds in between the rain drops, but I really liked the way it handled and seemed to go through the rounds much easier. I think Fiskars got it right.

Jaugust124 -

Did/do you notice a difference between the X-25 and the Pro? Better, worse, indifferent?
I have the "Old Skool" Fiskars, and was wondering if it is worth my money to "upgrade" a few years from now.

I would like to get your opinion after a (few) cords worth, with splitting with both.

Thanks,
P.J.

8lb maul, 6lb maul, couple of wedges and a 5lb hammer.

I always spend a few moments at the Fiskars when I'm in the hardware store. Maybe next time I break a handle.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cascade Failure said:
Horizontally of course.

Time is a major factor for me. I tried the whole sit'n'split thing, in part due to you guys. It just didn't work for me. All that sit, stand, sit, stand, can't reach any more rounds...drove me nuts. It just seems to be less effort to turn, grab a round of the stack and get at it.

I usually split top to bottom, or is it bottom to top?

Before I hosed my back in a motorcycle wreck I split wood for years with a Monster Maul and axe. I then bought a 3 pt hitch log splitter for the tractor and didn't like it at all so I ended up with a Huskee 22 ton and split 99% of my wood with it in the vertical position.

100% splitting with a fiskars equipemt. Don't have the room for an automated splitted plus I really enjoy the scoruge to sawing to hauling the heavy rounds into the truck to using the wheelbarrow to go from driveway to backyard then to splitting and stacking it. Ever watch Strongman competitons? Makes me feel good in this techie driven world too. Only thought in the world for a long part of the weekend is not killing yourself. Definitely relaxes me...

I sit at a desk all week long... so that's all heaven to me.

It's also Wednesday so don't mind me!

PJF13113,
I've been using the Fiskars Pro for a year or so and really like it, but I like the extra weight of the X-25. It seemed to go through the 2-3 rounds of elm I split with it quite easily. I will keep you posted when I get 40-50 rounds or more of various species through it. I think that should be enough for me to have a general idea of how it compares to the Pro Splitter. I was also thinking that I may need to sharpen the Pro Splitter. I haven't done that at all in the past year, that may give me better comparison data.

I use these.

Attachments

• SSPX1198.jpg
    SSPX1198.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 164
I use a 5 ton electric splitter. After breaking my shoulder a few years ago in a skiing accident I had to put down the maul. It goes through pretty much everything I throw at it up to 12 inches diameter. Since my saw only has a 12 inch bar, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.