How does this sound for a price on hardwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Hearth Supporter
Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
As a newbie, stocking up for my first year of wood burning, I have been shopping some prices. A local tree cutter has given me a price of log lengths equalling 3-4 cords for $300. Knowing my limitations as a rookie, I will have my father in law who is a lifelong wood burner on hand to inspect and verify. Assuming that they are telling me the truth, is this a good price? They say it will be good to burn this winter, but this is in my opinion for the "bank account" for 2009. What do you think? Is this a good price? They will deliver split for $175 a cord. I have a source that I know I can get dead and down off of the property for this season. Appreciate the feedback....

Log length probably won't be ready to burn this season. Wood doesn't start to dry or season til it's split and stacked. $175 per cord split is a pretty good price and if you can go check it out prior to delivery you can inspect it and see how dry it is. Dead stuff isn't always dry either, especially Oak, but it will probably dry faster than the log length stuff.

Sounds like a fair price but is it 3 or4. You'll see after cutting and splitting. Take a photo of the load for future referrance. Also, as I found out this last winter, downed wood laying on the ground does not equal dry wood unless you have a desert in RI. Get that bucked, split and drying, now!!!!, if you need it for winter.
Ed

I think that's a decent price. I paid about that for about that this past February. It was mostly hard maple. I also got a triaxle load (about 7 cord) for $550. Cherry, ash, and soft maple. Yeah, definetely a good price.

if you get 4 cd good price but remember... 75 more csd...less mess ask if he will give you 4 cd cut to your length and all you do is split.. i am finding over here tree guys are doing it more now because of fuel costs and the distance they have to travel to take it back to their place to cut n split for this winter...
i got about 1 3/4 cd for 85 bucks but i gotta split dumped in my back yard because he was cutting in town and his place is 45 mins away... his reason was he is so busy out here todrive over and back at 5 a gallon plus paying for his crew... its cheaper to get rid of it and go to the next project in town.....
point is ask it won't hurt or call tree service ask when they are in you area if they will do the same
if you have lots of land buy it by the truck load ...get 2-3 truck loads now because it will be going up!!

gibson said:
As a newbie, stocking up for my first year of wood burning, I have been shopping some prices. A local tree cutter has given me a price of log lengths equalling 3-4 cords for $300. Knowing my limitations as a rookie, I will have my father in law who is a lifelong wood burner on hand to inspect and verify. Assuming that they are telling me the truth, is this a good price? They say it will be good to burn this winter, but this is in my opinion for the "bank account" for 2009. What do you think? Is this a good price? They will deliver split for $175 a cord. I have a source that I know I can get dead and down off of the property for this season. Appreciate the feedback....

gibson, nowhere do I see what this wood is other than hardwood. Saying hardwood is like saying, "It's by the lake." Okay, what lake? So, what hardwood?

Hardwood is a generic term and actually even includes popple, which we normally call softwood. In short, if the leaves drop, it is hardwood. If no leaves, it is softwood.

So, I'd first want to know what wood you are buying before making any decisions. And it is possible if it is the right wood and you season it the best way that you may be able to burn it this winter. But another year would be nice for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.