How dry I am

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg711

May 1, 2008
southern ct
I have heard that heating with wood will dry the air in the house to the point of discomfort ( scratchy throat - bloody nose etc ). Anyone experience problems or have solutions. Is a kettle of water on or near stove sufficient to replace moisture in house?

Thanks CG711
First time wood burner with new Regency I3100 insert

I use a water kettle on the stove and a good humidifier set on high all day long... A must have! :)

cg711 said:
I have heard that heating with wood will dry the air in the house to the point of discomfort ( scratchy throat - bloody nose etc ). Anyone experience problems or have solutions. Is a kettle of water on or near stove sufficient to replace moisture in house?

Thanks CG711
First time wood burner with new Regency I3100 insert

The dry air - bloody nose/itchy skin is definitiely true. A humidifier or pot of water on top of the stove will help alleviate this problem. My skin gets very itchy and my daughter's nose bleeds frequently during the winter months. I am installing an outside air kit for my new stove and will try a humidifier if ithe air needs additional humidity

Not everybody has the problem to that extent, but it can happen. The outdoor air kit will certainly help as will water on the stove. A humidifier is probably the best solution but we only put water in a big pot on the stove. Still gets dry but not so dry that the skin gets irritated. Nothing says you can't put two kettles of water on the stove either. We even cook on the stove which adds to the moisture, but you must pay attention lest the food get dried out quickly. Just part of the learning curve.

I ahve a whole house humidifier in the same room as the stove. Definatly makes a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.