How far can a fireplace insert stick out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I received a quote for the installation on the insert, I think it's rather high but let me know what you guys think. The only adjustments from this estimate will be that they will be cleaning 2 flues (one for the chimney where insert is going in and another fireplace chimney that we have) which will cost $195, also will deduct $200 from the $495 if I bring in the insert into house and place it near the fireplace. He also gave me 10% military discount. So the final price will be $2952 plus tax. I think it's high but let me know your thoughts. I live in Westchester County, NY so keep that in mind. I attached the detailed quote so you can see exactly what they proposing.

Attachments

• Insert Install Quote 1 .pdf
    850.4 KB · Views: 314
It's pricey. Ask bholler what he thinks of 2ply smooth wall liner. I see there is no block off plate, just insulation stuffed around the liner. The surround extension definitely does not need to be stainless steel. The factory surround is just plain steel.

I would cull the specs for exactly what you want and then get a few more competing quotes.

Thanks Begreen, I thought it was rather high. I do however think they will do a good job, I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. I will ask them about the block off plate. I do remember mentioning this to him when I first spoke abut the project and he said the insulation should deb sufficient. I wonder why a lot installers shy away from installing a block off plate. Part of me thinks I can do this install myself, the only two things that I foresee being issues are I have an extremely steep roof and due to the layout off the roof/chimney I would at least need a 35-40 foot ladder which I don't have. And secondly the tools to open up and remove the damper for the liner install. But I will definitely shop around. I'll also PM bholler and get his opinion on the liner. Thanks!

A lot of installers shy away from a block off plate because it is going to raise the bid and it's more work. Shoving up ceramic insulation around the liner is better than nothing and a common practice. But this rarely blocks off heat loss as well as a true block off plate.

The height of this chimney may also be part of what is in the bill but not spelled out. I saw 20 ft liner and thought it to be closer to the ground. With a steep pitch roof they may need to stage a work platform up top.

A lot of installers shy away from a block off plate because it is going to raise the bid and it's more work. Shoving up ceramic insulation around the liner is better than nothing and a common practice. But this rarely blocks off heat loss as well as a true block off plate.

The height of this chimney may also be part of what is in the bill but not spelled out. I saw 20 ft liner and thought it to be closer to the ground. With a steep pitch roof they may need to stage a work platform up top.

Okay, I can see that. Worst case scenario I can do the block off plate myself. Although the length of the chimney liner from fire pit to the top is about 20'. However, from the base of the house to the top of the chimney I think it's about 35-40'. Plus part of the roof overhangs past the chimney and you really can't lay a ladder flat against the chimney. You would as you stated need to create some platform or have a really tall ladder which you can lean further from the base of the house and give yourself enough clearance to pass the overhang.

Also is it common practice to price the installation of the insert separate from the installation of the liner? I usually though when people posted estimates in this forum for liner installation that included the installation of the stove/insert in the fire pit.

Hard to say what is common practice. It's up to the company. Some only provide a final price with little breakdown. Your estimate was fairly detailed. It's getting to be installers busiest time of the year. Best pricing is usually during slack periods.

Hard to say what is common practice. It's up to the company. Some only provide a final price with little breakdown. Your estimate was fairly detailed. It's getting to be installers busiest time of the year. Best pricing is usually during slack periods.

It's even taking about a week or more just to have people come by for estimates. If I choose a company this week at minimum I'm looking at 4 weeks out for the work to completed.

It's even taking about a week or more just to have people come by for estimates. If I choose a company this week at minimum I'm looking at 4 weeks out for the work to completed.
We are scheduling the end of November now. Even in out slow time it is 2 weeks or more to give an estimate. And more than 4 weeks wait.

I had the Osburn 2400 Insert installed last week, everything went smoothly.The only hiccup was the custom surround was damaged and the installers are having their people redo the surround. They are scheduled to come back this week to install the surround. I followed the break in procedure to season the stove and have had the opportunity to have a few good fires. I installed some Roxul insulation since my chimney is an exterior chimney and will install a block off plate some time next week. I just want to thank everyone on this forum who take the time to offer guidance and advice to beginners such as myself. I have learned a lot in the process and and look forward to learning more. I have attached a few pictures of the insert, let me know how it looks and if there is anything that needs to be changed etc. Once again many thanks to everyone!

I'm getting a security alert when I try to post pictures, how do I post pictures? Also, more importantly as I stated before I placed Roxul insulation around the insert/damper, and now am getting a funny odor from the insulation. Should I be worried?

Finally figured it out :) dsc00764.jpg dsc00768.jpg dsc00769.jpg dsc00770.jpg dsc00771.jpg dsc00772.jpg dsc00773.jpg dsc00774.jpg dsc00775.jpg dsc00777.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.