How far can I run copper tubing for propane?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Phil

Mar 10, 2010
Central IL.
Last year, I installed a propane furnace in my shop, which is about 180 to 200 feet from the house propane tank. I finished up the season with a couple 100# propane cylinders that I was renting from my last house (I have since returned them). I was planning on installing a small 129 gallon or so tank next to the shop for supply, until I saw the price of new tanks (hard to find used in this area). For a 110 gallon "pig" would be around $800 with the installation, for something that isn't used all the time.

Is it possible to trench and bury copper tubing up to 200 feet and run off the house tank? I'm thinking that the copper line to the house is 5/8" copper. Would I need larger going to the shop, if this is even possible? The furnace is 75,000 BTU forced air.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Since the system will run on 100 lb. tanks, have you considered buying a couple to swap and continue to use them. The last ones I saw were around $100 each and for occasional use that might be your best option.

I agree. I've seen mobile home communities that have a central propane tank and then service ran through out the community at distances greater than 200 ft. I am not sure about regulators and such - but I know it can be done.

3/4" would be the minimum for that size. To make sure you had capacity in the coldest weather I'd go with 1". It also makes sense to upgrade the size in case you want to add other appliances to the run. Given the cost you are looking at it may make sense to move tanks instead of running the line.

Here is a sizing chart.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-gas-pipe-sizing-d_827.html

Matt

Maybe you could use plastic tubing approved for propane. I think its out there. That amount of copper will be expensive.

around here there is typically a regulator screwed into the tank, a 3/8" line going to the house, and another pressure regulator at the house going to bigger lines inside the house. I don't know why you would have 5/8" going from the tank to the house, but if you do then you may have different pressures than are used here.

the engineering toolbox chart was sized for the gas pressure inside of the house, outside is usually a higher pressure (maybe 10psi?) so a smaller line suffices.

no good answer here, but keep looking.

Problem solved. I found a 120 gallon tank with 30% still in it, used until last fall when he bought a bigger tank to supply a new boiler. Really cheap at $225, and it already has the regulator on it. It'll fit nicely near the shop, and it's only 20 years old. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.