How high does mendota fireplace need to be framed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Folks - I think I am being taken for a ride. I am thinking of doing a fireplace for a high ceiling and the mendota sales guys are saying I have to frame floor to ceiling because the pipe vents our vertically and goes out horizontally. So if they framed our 8 feet or so, it will look odd. If I add a hearth of 12 inches and the 57.5 inches in the attached picture to center of vent and add another 3 inches, I am still at 72.5 inches or 6 feet. So wouldn't I be ok only framing to 6 feet instead of the full wall?

Screenshot_20210309-185424.jpg

As long as you meet the 3" requirement above the horizontal run of venting,
you can terminate your enclosure WITHOUT going all the way to the ceiling.
Not sure how good it'll look, stopping short of the ceiling. Then there's the
dust that's gonna settle up there...

If my calculation above is right it comes to 6 feet which I don't think would look bad. Am I making an error? Why are they saying it needs to be 8 feet?

Last edited: