How High for a Row of Firewood -- Rule of Thumb?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside I normally go between 4 & 5 ft high.In the shed,which has been full since late May,I can stack right at 6 ft tall.This one of deadfall Red,Black & White Oak cut May-June this year is just over 6ft x 11 ft long.Checked it Wednesday,still pretty stable.Will lower it a bit before the Fall & Winter winds start blowing,its near north border of property.

Attachments

• whiteoak red oak buroak completed stack 62411.jpg
    whiteoak red oak buroak completed stack 62411.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 445
I don't know about any formula, but most around here stack to 4.5' or so.
I've got a couple stacks that are leaning slightly in a couple of spots (maybe a couple of the half-width pallets settled a bit?) I'm going to take a hammer and tap the splits in bowed-out sections back in to get the stacks back to vertical.

Inside my shed, I'll go to 7' or even a bit higher...sometimes using a step stool to put a few gnarlies way up top. Out in the open, I stick to about 4'-5'. Rick

ETA: My split length is generally 16".

I stack to my chin and I'm 5'6" - seems to work well. I like to be able to see over the stacks and look out onto the property. I'm sure I could go higher and be okay, but no need. Cheers!

Like Rick, inside the shed I'll stack as high as I can reach. Outside, we start usually around 4 1/2' high and if stacked in the spring that will usually be down to 4' high or less by fall. We've not had a pile tip over yet.

Five feet for me and my lengths are all over the place since I scrounge...I just settle them in when I place them and I have not had a problem yet.

The problem I've run into is if I go much over 5' ,the ground heaves when it freezes and thaws and tips the pile over. I've been thinking about going two stacks wide with a 6" gap in the middle then stacking a single row in the middle on top of the other two. Wouldn't be the best way for drying, but the wood I'm cutting is almost dry anyhow. If I did that I could get more wood by the boiler shed without using more yard, and wouldn't have to handle it an extra time.

it is quite 'flexy' in the middle right now woodsmaster but will finish it today and stake it. its more of a Locust privacy fence ;-)

6 ft.

Attachments

• SSPX1266.jpg
    SSPX1266.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 238
  • SSPX1302.jpg
    SSPX1302.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.