How Hot Does It Get In The Basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I wouldn't want to heat the basement unless I wanted to. How how does it get down there with a boiler and storage and no intentional heating going on? My oil boiler has been cold so much over the past years that I don't even have that to go by, but there's no storage anyway now.

Not very. I usually crack one end of my storage enclosure open a little bit to get some heat down there, about late November. If I don't, it's colder than when I had my wood/oil boiler down there - it was going all the time, this one only 6-12hrs a day max. If you box in your storage with a door type thing on one end - you can make it as cool or as warm as you want down there. Storage tanks make great radiators - if you want them to be. Insulated storage doesn't shed much heat.

My basement tends to be around 60 degrees with the boiler offline. My storage is well insulated and I don't think it loses much heat to the surroundings. When I run the boiler for a few hours, the basement comes up to 70 plus degrees and the living room above it also warms up. I expect the majority of the heat is from the flue with some heat contributed by the surface area of the boiler plus heat loss through the insulated fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.