how hot is hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLTHEGROSS

Jan 29, 2008
northwesternct
I am burning a heatnglo northstar. It heats my down stairs well. I have it in my living room with a 30 ft celing this room is open to a 700 sf kitchen and a dinning room on the other side. I bought a stove thermomitor and put it on the door. i can get the living room to 80-85 if i try to do this i need to get the unit to 450-500. my question...is this to hot or can i get it even hotter. i do notice that when it hits around 400 that is when i see no smoke comming from the chimny...pics attached

How logs do you have in there? It doesn't look full at all. I would think you could get it hotter, probably 600-650. I have not really experimented with any of the units we have on our showroom. The secondary tubes could glow a little but if anything else turns red its time to cool it off a little.

jtp10181 said:
How logs do you have in there? It doesn't look full at all. I would think you could get it hotter, probably 600-650. I have not really experimented with any of the units we have on our showroom. The secondary tubes could glow a little but if anything else turns red its time to cool it off a little.

om sure i could get it a lot hotter and yes i took this pick after i packed it full and let it burn for about 3 hours it usually takes about 1-2 hours to really get it heating. but my question still stands what is the max temp i should get it???

ALLTHEGROSS said:
i know the thermomitor says overfire at about 600 but have heard this depends on the stove

The overfire range would be more applicable if the thermometer was on the flue pipe. I would think that you are find running it at 600.

Not sure about that thermometer location - aren't they supposed to be placed on the top surface of the stove for most accurate reading? I just purchased a new Jotul and it actually had a diagram that showed recommended thermometer placement (at any of 4 corners, over firebox). Having just switched from old steel to new cast, I am amazed at just how hot is "ok." I never had a thermometer with my old stove, but just guessing now based on feel, I rarely took it over 450 degrees and usually operated around 350-400. Jotul says acceptable operating range is 400-600 degrees, so I broke down and got a surface thermometer and am here to tell you that once she is at 500, it is hot! I can't imagine 600, and am comfortable running it about 350-400.

FYI a NorthStar is built into the wall, only place to put a stat is on the door frame.

WarmGuy said:
From the picture it looks like you could pull the thermometer off the door, move it up 3 inches, and put it on the surface.

Nope.. that's the fascia. There is an air gap between that and the body of the firebox. I suspect it would be cooler than the door frame. The door frame is really the only exposed metal surface in direct contact with the fire chamber.

jtp10181 said:
WarmGuy said:
From the picture it looks like you could pull the thermometer off the door, move it up 3 inches, and put it on the surface.

Nope.. that's the fascia. There is an air gap between that and the body of the firebox. I suspect it would be cooler than the door frame. The door frame is really the only exposed metal surface in direct contact with the fire chamber.

ya i think where i have mounted it is the best place i have it heated up to 550 right now and had to cut it down.its just to hot in the room and its about 30 outside right now so im sure ill never need to take it over 650. so i guess my question is answered 650 max no more

thanks jim

Make sure to get it split up ASAP so its ready for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.