How hot is your wall thimbal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatherof2

Aug 12, 2014
Massachusetts
I was running my stove on level 4 out of 5, and my thimbal was getting pretty warm on the top side. I could leave my hand on the thimbal, but it was hotter than I was comfortable with.

I turned the stove down to 3, and it is quite a bit cooler.

The bottom of the thimbal does not get nearly as hot as the top.

Kind of has me worried that the connection came loose inside the thimbal.

I will check it tomorrow when the stove is cool.

Meanwhile, I was just wondering if your thimbal gets pretty warm / almost hot.

Thanks for any input.

Mine get's warm. I didn't think you could have a pipe connection in a wall though. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Mine also is warm to the touch, not super hot (stove on medium).....and a pipe connection within the thimble is a no-no :)

Wow...........guys..........thank you!

I did not know that a connection in the thimbal was a no-no. Makes sense though. I should have known that.

What is my best option?

Buy a 2 foot piece of pipe?

Thanks again.

Reactions: alternativeheat
The thimble's function is to maintain clearances between your exhaust pipe and combustibles. The pipe is one continuous piece that passes through the thimble.

Wow...........guys..........thank you!

I did not know that a connection in the thimbal was a no-no. Makes sense though. I should have known that.

What is my best option?

Buy a 2 foot piece of pipe?

Thanks again.
What ever it takes for a proper install. If two ft spans it and allows a hook up outside the wall, then yes 2 ft.

No prob. The only rookie mistake would be to not ask;)

Mine get's warm. I didn't think you could have a pipe connection in a wall though. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

If the installer did their job correctly (don't count on that one tHough) there never should be a joint inside the wall, both a safety and a code issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Status
Not open for further replies.