Worried about my Old pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brandonjr36

Feb 13, 2020
Joplin missouri
Hey guys I have an older breckwell pellet stove. It’s smoking pretty strong outside but not inside and is burning great. The exhaust has some ash build up I need to clean it and I plan on it but the temps are suppose to be in the negatives this week so I really have no choice but to run it. I noticed tonight there was some ambers coming out of the exhaust not many. Not really worried about it catching fire outside since I have a big patch of concrete where the pipe is. The pipe goes from the stove straight out and is only about 16 inches in total. “ I know it’s suppose to be longer and go up” but that’s how my grandpa installed it 25 years ago! I scooped some of the ash out tonight with a rod and a big spoon. The pipe outside doesn’t get hot at all. But the part of the pipe that connects to the exhaust fan is too hot to touch as well as the exhaust fan itself. Is this something I should worry about? Any suggestions is appreciated! The stove is burning great! Little to no ash in the burn pot or anything. It’s been running for about 3 days straight now.

The pipe will be hot near where it is close to the stove. The exhaust air should be hot enough to keep creosote from forming - that is the way they are designed. That is why there should be floor protection behind the stove (if it isn't on concrete anyway).

A bit of ash in the pipe outside won't hurt anything until temps moderate so you can clean it as long as there isn't too much build up. I don't have that stove so can't comment on the embers.

The pipe will be hot near where it is close to the stove. The exhaust air should be hot enough to keep creosote from forming - that is the way they are designed. That is why there should be floor protection behind the stove (if it isn't on concrete anyway).

A bit of ash in the pipe outside won't hurt anything until temps moderate so you can clean it as long as there isn't too much build up. I don't have that stove so can't comment on the embers.
Thanks for the reply. And yeah there is a platform under the stove it’s more like tile. The only creosote I see is inside the stove itself. I can’t really get it removed it’s been like that for a few years now. Is there anything to worry about with creosote buildup inside the box?

Well, creosote is never really good inside a pellet stove - or any stove. That is all I can say as I am not qualified to give you actual safety advice on that sort of thing.