how is burning pellets green when there are 50 plastic bags per ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kittery said:
CWR said:
My company buys those bags (Or bags like them) and remelts the plastic to make non woven fiber products. (Carpet, sanitary napkins, band-aid fuzz, facemasks, substrates, ect) By next year they hope to use 100% recycled materials. Keep those bags coming!
Hey there CWR. Can you tell me (via PM if you prefer) the name and location of your company? As you can see I'm almost a neighbor and my wife works in Hampton. I 'use' as many of the bags as I can, and my town recycle center only take plastics that are #1 or #2, which last time I checked my 'overstock' of empty bags that's not the number on them, so if there is a chance to recycle the extras with your company that would be great!
Thanks!

If you are ever in an area served by Eco-Maine they have large silver recycle bins all over the place (well relatively all over the place) and do single stream and take #1 through #7. Some of the grocery stores will also take plastic bags.

I use my bags (among other uses) as recycle bags that is they hold the recycle stuff. Once every few weeks or so the our vehicle gets loaded up and my wife makes a recycle run on her way to other chores and things. Yesterday we did our transfer station run with trash trash, this happens every two months. The chickens and compost pile get the rest of the trash around here.

Kittery said:
CWR said:
My company buys those bags (Or bags like them) and remelts the plastic to make non woven fiber products. (Carpet, sanitary napkins, band-aid fuzz, facemasks, substrates, ect) By next year they hope to use 100% recycled materials. Keep those bags coming!
Hey there CWR. Can you tell me (via PM if you prefer) the name and location of your company? As you can see I'm almost a neighbor and my wife works in Hampton. I 'use' as many of the bags as I can, and my town recycle center only take plastics that are #1 or #2, which last time I checked my 'overstock' of empty bags that's not the number on them, so if there is a chance to recycle the extras with your company that would be great!
Thanks!
Kittery,
If you find out I wouldn't mind knowing either. I also reside in Kittery and just asked that question last saturday at the dump. They told me if I put my pellet bags in the plastic recycle section they have to move it to the household waste... What a waste. Thanks.

Hopefully some day we will get to the point many Euopean countries are and have bulk delivery. Probably really drive the price up though.

Heaterhunter,
You got it! I'll pass on any information that I get.
just asked that question last saturday at the dump. They told me if I put my pellet bags in the plastic recycle section they have to move it to the household waste… What a waste.
I agree. I guess the 'company' they sell the plastics to will only take #1 & #2. Too bad they can't get a contract with a different company that would take more.
Notice what "SmokeyTheBear" posted above too. It looks like the closest to us that Eco-Maine services is Ogunquit.
Cheers.

FYI,

MWP will accept empty clean #4 LPDE pellet bags and pallet bags delivered to their plant for recycling.

Kittery said:
CWR said:
Thanks!

Hi Kittery! I don't mind giving you the name. It's Foss Manufacturing. They are in downtown Hampton.

http://www.fossmfg.com/

We don't take the bags ourselves. We buy them from a company that grinds them (and plastic bottles) into what we call flake. We then feed the flake into our extruders where we extrude the flake into strands of fiber. There should be pictures of this on the website.

Chan

CWR said:
Hi Kittery! I don't mind giving you the name. It's Foss Manufacturing. They are in downtown Hampton.

http://www.fossmfg.com/

We don't take the bags ourselves. We buy them from a company that grinds them (and plastic bottles) into what we call flake. We then feed the flake into our extruders where we extrude the flake into strands of fiber. There should be pictures of this on the website.

Chan
Hi Chan! Thanks for the information. I'll look around the website in a bit.
It sure would be nice to find a 'local' place to recycle the bags, and it's very understandable that your company doesn't take the 'raw' bags to grind.
The search continues.
Kittery

Sadly there is no way to be "Totally" green.

Our way of life is going to use things that in some way are not always green.

I use nut shells to heat with, but I have to use my large diesel truck to go get the stuff.

I store the materials in containers that I have owned for over 15 years and will continue to use them.

To be honest, my only reason for heating the way I do is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ plain and simple.

The pellets are very handy, clean and easy to use but the cost far exceeds what I can buy the shells for, so its a no brainer.

Back when we were using 3-4 tons of pellets a season, we would use the pellet sacks for garbage sacks then either send them to the garbage can or to the burn pile.

At times, if we had a lot of bags all stuffed into an empty and had stuff like news paper and other stuff, we would take the bags to the recycle.

We recycle magazines, phone books and such stuff as it wont burn well and makes a mess of the burn pile that must be cleaned up.

Many years ago, we had a deep "SUMP" at one end of the property (50 acres) that was the family dump.

If it could not be burned it went to the dump. Every year or so we used the bull dozer and pushed dirt over the pile and moved up the sag a tad farther.

This worked quite well for over 50 years here.

Dug it up a few years back and almost nothing remains of the cans and other stuff.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust ya know.

The plastic will last for eons though. Best to recycle if you can. The Polyethylene bags are an easy one to recycle.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.