how long does it take most to cut a years wood supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My record was 6 cord in a week last Fall, 15 hours into it but picked it up bucked and split it onto the heap. If it was always that easy...

Thistle said:
quads said:
1 full cord all by myself, felled, cut, split by hand with my 6# maul, hauled to the house, and stacked in under 6 hours. Normally I like to take it easy though, with breaks to take a few pictures, so a cord leisurely takes me 8 hours.

That's about the same for me too,Quads. 20 yrs ago Dad & I shared the work pretty much 50/50,but a few yrs later he gave it up.It's 99% all my thing now.He'll be 82 next month & has no business working in the woods now,no matter how much he'd like to.Sometimes he'll sharpen a chain for me,bring me out a drink or pick up a few smaller sticks,thats pretty much it though.

Just because somebody is 82 does not mean he shouldn't be in the woods anymore. I know several guys in their 80's that are in the woods doing hard work. Thing is, they grew up that way and that is all they know. Knew one guy that was doing it close to 90. It all depends on the person and what shape they are in. Age is just a number.

As far as 4 hours per cord is concerned, that seem really fast. Not saying it is undoable, just that it is pretty awesome. Wish I only had 40 hours of work in this for 10 cords of wood.

Thing is, we need to talk overall man hours too. With two people working and putting in 40 hours each for 10 cords, it is actually 80 man hours or 8 man hours per cord. I guess 2 cords per day with 2 people is feasible, especially with the right equipment, the right tree, and the right conditions. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that 1 cord every 4 hours with two people doing the work is really feasible.

As far as what works and what doesn't, it depends. I have two saws and let my dad run one when there is actually something to be done with it and he doesn't have anything else to do. No sense having him sitting around watching and twiddling his thumbs. once everything is cut up, we roll the splitter in place and both of us work on splitting. We both work on getting the rounds in place on the splitter and then I work the lever while he works the splits after the intial split is made. From there, I throw the splits into the truck, which is usually right behind the splitter. Once I get a good pile on the truck, I jump up there and start stacking while my dad continues to split.

Either I have more than 10 cords piled up in the yard or that 40 hours of work seems like it was a lot more.

It takes ages here to cut wood, by the time I have taken pictures, made little wood henges, and then posted them on here.......... ;-)

Jack Straw said:
I cut 2 cord in the Fall and 2 cord in the Spring and it takes me a long time. I would guess it takes 12+ hours to C,S & S a cord, but I love doing it and I love to be out in the woods.

That's pretty much me too. 2-3 cords in the fall after it starts to cool down and then 2-3 cords in the spring before it starts
to warm up. It's my favorite time of year, and I don't hurry. I make sure there's time for stump sitting and beer drinking
when the chain saw and maul are put away for the day.

NH_Wood said:
I couldn't say - for the past 3 years, I just work up wood as it comes available. I'd guess 8 h per cord - I like to take my time and enjoy the process - I'm in no rush. Especially stacking - I wait for a nice cool day, put on some great tunes, and take frequent Molson Canadian breaks - love it! Cheers!

NH, When I read your your post I laughed for a moment. Aside from the Molson Breaks (mine are Sam Adams or Tuckermans Pale Ale) we do it the process in simular fashion. I tend to like to do mine in the spring, getting outside to beat the cabin fever...

Status
Not open for further replies.