How long does wood keep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I got a ton of wood from my moms. She had a huge ash and maple dropped. I split and stacked all of it a few years ago. I wont get to burning it for a few more years. So how how will it keep for ? And what can i do to make it last?

What ABMax24 said ^

I'll add dont be fooled by cheap tarps that get holes in them after a year or two. If you are storing wood for more than a couple years you have to constantly check the condition of the covers.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Also research the firewood you have. Some species last better than others - like locust. If they are all dry, maybe burn the not-so-long lasting species first (some maples aren't long lasters). Probably doesn't matter if you can keep it all dry.

Ash lasts a lot longer for me than maple. So once it's seasoned I'd try to use more of the maple.

Most wood lasts a long long time if stored up off grass, sheltered, plenty of air. Six years or more for me.

Yep. Long time if kept dry. I am getting some that gas been in an old barn for 20-30 years. Bone dry and solid.

If wood is kept in a dry location it will last forever
Just look at antique furniture that's over 200 years old
That is just wood with a finish on one side

Reactions: D8Chumley
At some point post beetles and other bugs may invade. White mold can be an issue. Wood that looks good on the outside, can be lighter and weakened to the point that a nice heavy round is now a light weight sponge. Species doesn't seem to matter. Heavy wood like white oak or locust, apple, or pine and poplar all can get light enough to want to scrap it. I have 3, 10 and 50year old stored wood. Of the oldest I've tossed about 30% of it due to it being too light to use. Furniture is generally kept in a climate controlled area. Wood in outbuildings, such as a barn with a concrete floor and stone walls will be slow to warm in the spring, creating condensation and dampness. Wood outside is subject to the elements unless covered. Even when covered I've seen post beetles invade the wood stacks here in just the 3 yrs they are out there.

"I split and stacked all of it a few years ago. I wont get to burning it for a few more years. So how how will it keep for ? And what can i do to make it last?"
A few years won't hurt. In central MI, you're not in a snow belt or high rain area, so I would think leaving it outside, stacked, in the sun, maybe covered - a few more years - it should be just fine.

Last edited:
I agree completely with Sawset.
Especially outside, even if its off the ground and top covered there is a time limit at least in my humid climate.
I'm finding 5 years is still ok but that would be my limit.

It all depends on where you live
We do not have post Beatles
Carpenter ants are not interested in dry wood
My barn is 150 + years old the ash logs and boards
used it its construction are as solid as the day cut
The maple firewood that was in the barn when I
moved here 45 years ago is still solid as the day put in there
Some wood will rot Birch unsplit will be dust in 5 years
only because the internal moisture can not escape.
maple, ash, and oak will last a lifetime if kept off the ground and dry.

Reactions: jaoneill
I started uncovering some 4 year old Siberian Elm yesterday and that stuff is overall a pretty garbagey wood. This was covered with a cheap tarp but raised off the ground with cinder blocks + 4x4's, and the bark is falling off the splits where it's basically disintegrating on the inside to the consistency of dirt. Plenty of density to the splits, and it's still going in the stove.

Better quality woods like ash or (some) species of maple will do far better than that. Siberian Elm is about the worst wood in every regard that I burn, and if it will hold up as long as it has then I have no doubt better species will age far better. I'm on a 3 year plan but typically have some wood leftover, so the leftovers may even be 6 years old by the time I get to them.

We regularly burn oak that dropped in 1985 during timbering. Tops that have branches in the air are still solid and burn great.

My barn is 150 + years old
Like swiss cheese here. Circulation helps too. We have two barns. One with a bank of south facing windows - all is well that ends well - there everything is high and dry and sound. The other is all closed up, with cord wood stored inside years ago. Sadly, much of the prized apple and locust wood stacked there is no longer worthy. What is good is - ok. What is not crumbles. Maybe it would make good furniture though - don't they purposely distress stuff to make it look like bugs have eaten into it?

1112211742~2.jpg

I agree completely with Sawset.
Especially outside, even if its off the ground and top covered there is a time limit at least in my humid climate.
I'm finding 5 years is still ok but that would be my limit.
I'm going to jump on this wagon too--If things are really wet in a summer or two and the wood is outside (even top covered), the fungus and bugs will eat a good portion of the BTUs. I'm burning some beech that is 4-5 yrs old and it doesn't have the weight of a piece of hemlock (which ironically seems to have held its own over the years).

Reactions: fire_man
My barn is 150 + years old the ash logs and boards
used it its construction are as solid as the day cut
The maple firewood that was in the barn when I
moved here 45 years ago is still solid as the day put in there
Some wood will rot Birch unsplit will be dust in 5 years
only because the internal moisture can not escape.
maple, ash, and oak will last a lifetime if kept off the ground and dry.
By the time post beetles consume a good portion of your wood , we won't be around, they got into some of my hickory but the damage was really insignificant. as far as wood keeping, wood in my covered lean two which has a metal roof and receives no weather at all , but has great airflow north and south is 10 years old and as good as it was 10 years ago no weight loss.

Powder post beetles and carpenter ants can both do a number on wood if you get a bad infestation.

The best way to keep wood in good condition is to store in a wood shed. Rain will never touch it, its up off the damp ground, the wind blows through it and you'll just be able to walk away from it with no future care. You may get some PP beetle here and there but for the most part your wood will be premium. Keeping it on racks and top covered is the worst idea for long term storage as you will be babysitting the wood for years.

The best way to keep wood in good condition is to store in a wood shed. Rain will never touch it, its up off the damp ground, the wind blows through it and you'll just be able to walk away from it with no future care. You may get some PP beetle here and there but for the most part your wood will be premium. Keeping it on racks and top covered is the worst idea for long term storage as you will be babysitting the wood for years.
Well said, the most I'll keep wood covered top only outside is just one year then everything goes under cover.

Keeping it on racks and top covered is the worst idea for long term storage as you will be babysitting the wood for years.

I agree a woodshed is the best idea for long term storage but not that "on racks and top covered is the worst idea" .

The worst idea is uncovered or sitting on the ground, or both - at least in my climate. The trick is to top cover with something solid, which in my case is plywood sheets covered by decent tarps (one step away from a woodshed!).

Last edited:
Reactions: ToastyRanch
I don't see a problem with racks and top covered. If done well it really is no different than a shed. Now yes if it is just covered with a tarp or something that isn't good but covered with rubber or metal it will last as long as in a shed

Reactions: stoveliker
I don't see a problem with racks and top covered. If done well it really is no different than a shed. Now yes if it is just covered with a tarp or something that isn't good but covered with rubber or metal it will last as long as in a shed

most arent top covering with something durable.. lots use tarps.. tarps suck.. plastic...sucks..

If you top cover, I'd make sure the cover material sticks out a bit, creating eaves to keep the rain off of the cut sides of your splits as well. And to create some space between the top of your stack and the tarps to allow the air to flow there.

Reactions: ToastyRanch