How long is too long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eodrob96

Sep 3, 2018
Lawsonville, NC
image.jpg
Good evening, thank you all for keeping a great forum. I’m new here and the new owner of a Buck Model 81 as of today. I looked through the forum and used the search feature but I can’t find an answer to my question.

According to the manufacturer my stove can handle 20 inch wood so I cut a bunch of 20 inch wood over the last week. My stove was installed today and I just put a log in to see how well it fits. I have it in the north south configuration. The end of the log is up on the ledge about 1 inch from the door glass. It is not resting on the fire brick. I am concerned that the wood I cut is too long even though the manufacturer said it would take 20 inch. Can anybody advise a newbie on whether or not my log is OK on the ledge 1 inch from the door or do I need to start cutting my wood at about 18 inches?

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it fit east-west? Maybe their idea was for it to be burned in the other orientation?

With my stove, I will occasionally get pieces,,, of bent ones that end up not perfect, traditional splits, that come close to the door.

My advice, if you have pieces that are going to come close to the door, is save them for a reload when the stove isn't needing max output..... In other words,,,, if you are doing a hot reload in the coldest part of winter, that is not the time to find out a piece of wood is too long for the door to close as, if well seasoned, on a hot load it will start almost immediately upon placing it in the stove.

If you are down to minimal coals, and might have to blow a bit on them to rekindle the reload, that is the time to find out if a log is too long or not, as it could be removed from the stove with nothing more than some smoke smell.

pen

That is fine, but, when the splits offgas, they will fog up the glass in short order. If you keep it 2-3" back away from the glass, the glass will stay cleaner, longer. I cut 16" to 18" for my Summit.

Reactions: pen and eodrob96
My Oslo will take a 24" piece according to Jotul. My wood is 22" which was cut for my old Defiant which the Oslo replaced. I like that bit of "wiggle" room. Several guys on the forum cut 20" for the Oslo. After I get more experience with mine I may switch to that as well.

Long story short, I would say not to ever cut to the mfg's length. That is the max you can fit in - not really the recommended wood length.

I always figure if I can shut the door without it hitting I am good to go.

I always figure if I can shut the door without it hitting I am good to go.

I do the same. As long as I can close the door with no pressure on the glass I'll burn it. My glass is pretty dirty anyways cause I only burn on low unless its below zero out.

Reactions: Poindexter
My stove says 18" max, 16" recommended. Why fight a too long log into a hot stove is my thinking. Leave room.

I like to leave room also. All it would take would be one peice cut a little to long to break the glass. I shoot for 2" of space.

Many thanks to you all. Been busy for the last couple of days hence the slow response. During that time though I called Buck. The guy said “I don’t know who came up with that measurement but 18 inches is what you should use.” He said I could use what little 20 inch I’ve already cut since it fits. I had to alter my homemade gauge which sucked but I’m good now. Pic shows it on my little 435 but I just bought a 562XP so I’m good to go now.

Attachments

• D2CA18AB-29DE-40D8-9959-ACC776324940.jpeg
    D2CA18AB-29DE-40D8-9959-ACC776324940.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 123
After cutting enough wood, you won't need a gauge.

Its nice to keep your stack within a 1/4 inch. A guage is a big help.

Reactions: eodrob96
When felling long pole timber we put a tape on it and use a can of marking paint. My brother has a gauge on one saw for the rest.

18" bar on my saw, so I just use that as reference. .

So you do use a gauge then. Reminds me of barebow shooters that put scratch marks on the risers of their bows to help judge yardage.

Its all good.

Its nice to keep your stack within a 1/4 inch. A guage is a big help.
Wow 1/4". An inch above or below is good enough for me.

I'm more of, "as long as it fits and doesn't sizzle it's good," kind of guy.

Its more about consistent stacks than going in the stove.