How long should I let rain soaked wood sit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mharmon

Oct 20, 2008
Western WA
Hello,

A family member just gave me a well seasoned cord of cedar that was split two years ago. The only problem is that it's pretty rain soaked. My question is, do I need to treat this stuff like it's green wood and let if sit for a year?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Naa...that stuff will dry up just fine. Its surface moisture...thats a whole bunch different than unseasoned wood. A few good dry days and you should be good to go.

Jags said:
Naa...that stuff will dry up just fine. Its surface moisture...thats a whole bunch different than unseasoned wood. A few good dry days and you should be good to go.

Ditto that!

Jags said:

Dunno bout that. He lives in the PNW same as me. Dry days around these parts still mean humidity of 75% or greater.

I think, cover the top and forget it for a least a month or two. and maybe the winds will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.