How long till this Ash falls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read that. I read that the neighbors had quotes to get it taken down, and after that things were guessing. I would think if they didn't care to deal with it, they wouldn't go for quotes.

It's been a week since the OP posted though - kinda curious on an update to the situation.

Well aside from not paying the removal, the insurance claim has no bearing, if the tree comes down and damages anything on the op's property his insurance would pay, not the neighbors, the best way to go about this is a: call your insurance agent, tell them the issue and see what they say, b: neighbor pays for removal, c: tree falls damages property, op's insurance takes care of it, op takes neighbor to small claims court to get deductible back (neighbor and op develop bad blood)

I'd call someone for a rough estimate to come in for half a day with an aerial boom and just drop it all. Instead of listening to hearsay or exaggerated prices.
Chipper and two guys for that would be extra.
But a couple guys to just drop it might be $700-$800.00
Or less.
Offer $85-$100 a cord for the firewood to help defray the costs.
Or at least for the wood on their side.
That's log load price here.
There must be 2 cords in that tree unless it is rotten in the trunk as well.

I paid $800 to have a red oak tree with a crack in it taken down. In pieces with an aerial boom and a climber and a couple guys on the ground guiding and chipping. I got 3+ cords of primo red oak out of it. I would have gotten more if they hadn't chipped such big branches.
Works out to $266 a cord plus my time cutting to length and splitting. Green red oak locally is $225-275/cord depending on supply/demand.
I paid $1200.00 to have 2 large maples removed from behind my house, they had to bring a crane, chipped up all braches and left 18" rounds for me.

I wouldn't wait around. I'd have an arborist look at it. Then I'd talk to my insurance company and send a copy of the arborist's report to the neighbor via certified mail.

My parents neighbors have had quotes to have this Ash tree taken down but my guess is this tree would be 6-8k to cut down and they don't have the money. The crack seems to keep growing. I've got my saw on stand by for when it does finally come crashing down.

If it does fall, it looks like the right side would split off - which would be fine with me, if the left side splits off it's going to crush my parents 3 car garage/workshop. How long do you think it can stand for? Do you think there's a chance it could split to the left?
I suggest that you contact your parents' insurance agent and ask for advice. They might be willing to step in and contact the tree owner in order to prevent a future claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.