How many BTU do I need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a stove builder, salesman or affiliated with the stove business other than as a consumer. So, I am no expert, but I grew up in Northern Vermont in a house about 2600+ square feet. We had a combination oil/wood furnace in the basement. It rocked, I mean kicked a$$. We had to open windows often to cool down, My father fitted it with a hot water heater and we came home one day to find the hot water had melted the washers in the faucets. Crazy. If I could put one in my house, this what I would have. http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/EAGLEIHUSKY/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Attachments

• lefty.jpg
    lefty.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 360
At this point, I don't know if you feel like your question has been answered or not. I do think that you're right to consider the thermal mass that you will want to warm up quickly. When I built our house, I neglected to take that into account when sizing the oil hot-water baseboards. I painstakingly modeled every heat loss in the house and determined that we needed 52' of baseboard for our 3500 sq ft house, which works out to about 34000 btu/hr. That turns out to be almost exactly right (I can maintain 72 degrees inside at -30 outside) but it takes nearly forever to change the temperature of the house even one degree.

When I added the wood boiler, I had more problems as it doesn't always provide hot water at 180 degrees. At lower temps, the baseboards don't put out as much heat.

As with many things in life, a little overkill is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.