How many cords can you splitt in a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alberta Burner said:
wellbuilt home said:
I can split a cord an hour with my old splitter 27 ton and 2 people . With my new splitter i can split 2 cords an hour when i get rolling . Sunday we split 10 cord in 4 hours with 2 splitters and my sons 12 and 13 years old helping . My wife has a day care in the house and any one with out dippers stacks wood . John

So I take it that the ones in diapers are only responsible for the kindling?????

No way a split is a split, every one stacks here . I louse time in the cold weather because of breastfeeding . The kids take break inside . No high beams at the wood pile . John

I used to rent a splitter 2 or 3 times a year,75$ a pop.Could splitt a 4 or so cords. Found a splitter for 300$ off of CL
now just for a hour or so at a time.Much better then hurting myself.

^Here in the States we call those trees...limbs.

savageactor7 said:

or chipper bait! cool machine

savageactor7 said:

It takes trees up to 12 Inches but i think that i to big to handle.Bigger is not always better.
I usually get trees in 8 Inches when I thin out the forest.

In southern sweden they have bigger trees like oak beech but up here north of the sixty latitude they dont survive..
Maybe they do in the States ?

Exactly my 1st thoughts Hansson... that's a nice machine only if your surrounded by a stick forest. Being N of 60* I can see why that so useful esp if you were disabled. Around here we have a Brownie Girl Scout chapter that splits wood that size as part of their good deed/outdoor recreation program.

With my brothers Timberwolf TW6 and the rounds stacked next to it, I can bang out a full chord of 16" wood in 35-40 minutes. That machine is pretty quick and has a hydraulic adjust 4 way wedge.

Around the house I split by hand and never really timed myself. It's pretty slow this year as I'm cutting my wood 24" for the OWB instead of my PE insert. BIG difference in effort required. I'm using the maul and wedges alot more than I used to for the shorter stuff.

I answered this question for my self this weekend. My father-in-law and I bucked and split tow and a half to three full cords of hickory on Saturday and Sunday - about 8 hours total. Probably three hours to buck, so that leaves five hours to split, or about 2 hours per cord. He does about 1/4 of the work, so that would mean that I could do a full cord about every 2-1/2 hours, no stacking (just tossing into a pile).

I don't want to do this every weekend. I'm definitely feeling it in my upper body.

My 8 pound maul and I have split and stacked about 1.5 cords in a day, max. That didn't take all day, perhaps 4 or 5 hours, but I was getting tired and I think any additional hours might have resulted in decreasing productivity. I usually can't accumulate more than a cord or so of rounds at once, since I split a few whenever I get a chance. That is the big advantage of hand splitting, I think; I can split for 10 minutes a day if i want, since there is no set-up time, I simply pick up the maul and swing away.

Wood Duck said:
I think any additional hours might have resulted in decreasing productivity...
How much wood would a Wood Duck chuck if a Wood Duck could chuck wood? %-P

One cord a day by hand is alot! I hand split about 1/4 cord at a time, then stack it. Once either I cant pop a round apart in one or two blows, or my blows start becoming errant, its time to do something else for awhile. I usually split for about 30 mins before work and 30 after work.

My little woodhauler trailer behind my ATV holds 1/6 of a full cord (1/2 of a face cord). It takes about 45 minutes total from the time I leave the house, go out in the woods, cut up a tree, hand split it, haul it back to the yard, and put it in the wood museum stack. So, I guess I could do a full cord in one day without too much trouble, but I never split only. That would be a cord in a day from the whole process, taking in to consideration that I have a slow running, dull cutting saw, and a slow swinging can't believe it splits anything 6# maul! ;-) Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.