how many leave there stoves on when not home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

how many leave stove on when not home

• im thinking about it but still not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • im a nut and i worry about a tree falling on my house ever time it rains!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run it all the time when home or not. There are some many safety items one these stoves they will shut off before major trouble starts.

Yup. On all the time other than shutdown once a month for cleaning.
Main source of heat once the cold temps set in and I like a very warm
house so shutting it down is not an option for me.

Stove is my only heat...if it goes out so do my pipes and my poor dogs would be coldy coldy.

24/7, I go away on business for a week at a time, and my wife is only home at night 3 days a week, I give it a good cleaning before I go and my dad comes over and tops it off, thats it..

I did have a nasty close call with my whitfield, and i dont know if newer stoves have any features that would prevent this but here is what happened: Middle of Winter, was at work and away from the house for ~12 hrs. stove on heat setting 3 of 5, convection blower on 4 of 5. Burn pot developed a clinker, clinker got worse and burning pellets eventually filled up the entire burn pot, pelelts spilled out of the burn pot and started a fire in the wells on each side of the pot, came home to a rip roaring blazing inferno ( no thermostat ) with pellets on fire in and around the pot, house was well over 90 degrees and the stove was snap crackle popping from all the heat, I'm surprised the stove didn't burn right down the the hearth pad. Fair warning, if your not 100% confident in your stoves reliability, a potential problem could happen.

and i dont know if newer stoves have any features that would prevent this but here is what happened:

Does that old stove have "snap discs" ? My understanding is that if something unexpected happens and the stove gets dangerously hot the snap discs shut it down on modern stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.