How many other stoves have Thermostatically controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Is it the cat combustion or thermostatically controls that give these cat stoves the long even burn?
For those who have never taken one apart, here is how it works. Just like the spring of your stove top thermometer
control by a spring the Theromsatically control stoves has a similar spring. This spring is attached to the secondary air damper and a probe sensor in the Cat combustor chamber as it heats up it closes the secondary air damper as it cools it opens it to maintain higher heat production. Again one can also manually control the primary air inlet. My point its not just the cat but a combination with secondary air control that gives the longer even heat output. What other stoves employ this technology?

Secondary

To achieve greater efficiency, thermostatically controlled
secondary air mixes with the smoke (which is unburned wood
gases). This begins the secondary combustion process.
3) Smoke passes through a catalytic combustor, which lowers the
smoke’s burning temperature from 1,200 oF to 600 oF, and
causes it to ignite. This secondary combustion turns that
smoke into usable heat.

Had this on the original Resolute and really loved it. It worked great and made it much easier for my wife to regulate. There was only one slight flaw. When the temp was satisfied, the air intake damper would sometimes tap regularly like a nervous grandma when the damper chain went slack. The fix was easy. I put a very small magnet on it's edge and that way when it closed, it closed solid. Worked like a charm.

the older stoves had them also but it was controlling the primary air.
i have a old vc defiant and a hearthstone 2 and they both have this feature. it great. set it and forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.