How many Splits do you burn in 24 hours? (What's your SPD)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many Splits do you burn in 24 hours? (What’s your SPD)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilson

Nov 19, 2005
Orient Point, NY
Well, we started the thread on Packing the stove, then went to the thread on how large everyone's splits are, and now this.

Yes, we all know that people have different size splits, different size and age stoves, cats and non cats, different climates, different wood types, house sizes, and different hat sizes... and all of these impact how much you burn.
But, just to get some numbers out there, enter how many splits you need to burn to keep your stove going in normal operation, during normal winter conditions (not the worst day of the year), during a normal 24 hour period.

Good luck,

-- Mike

Too many variables, but on average I'd say 10-15 per day.

I wish my house was more efficient. Grrr!!! I figure 10 degrees is a normal winter day and I need to fill it 3x with four 20" logs and another two before going to bed = 14 log splits a day. Not bad!

I adjusted most are talking about normal 16" logs converting me in the 17-18 log splits/day. On the windy winter days it's like four 20" logs every 5 hours putting me closer to 25/day. Brrrrr.... I feel the wind whipping through my walls inside (did I tell you my house is very inefficient?).

Hi Ronemas,

Maybe it is time to invest in a few tubes of caulking. Those cost nothing and changed my house from Draftcity to cosy.

Carpniels

Ya left the most accurate range off the poll:

Whatever it takes.

I think this is tough. some splits are a whole lot smaller than others. Depends on species of wood, and how wet or green the wood was. I figure the smaller the split, the faster it seasons...unless I can't split it. My take is I burn too much, but that's cause my wife want's it 80 on the first floor. An Osburn 2400 or PE Summit in our LR with the doors shut would be just right for her.

I Think I'm burning 30 a day, but some of what I'm going through right now is kinda punky.

Lord: Noah, how many splits do you burn in a day?

Noah: Right.... What's a split?

My splits vary from a splinter to a quarter of a 12" log. As Bro Bart says, whatever it takes...

Status
Not open for further replies.