How many splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm achieving optimum temperatures with a single split of wood, what are the advantages of loading it up to the capacity. This is for middle of the day while I'm near the house. Or is there and advantage? I understand, the more wood the longer the burn.

thanks

In firebox.

It's a question of efficiency. What you are really trying to work out is which method sends more heat up the chimney. When you put in more wood you cool the firebox. If your firebox is really hot (still hot enough for secondary combustion without giving it more air) you're not really hurting efficiency. This is how a pellet stove works, adding just a tiny piece of fuel at short, regular intervals. If, on the other hand, you need to change your air setting when you add wood you are not maintaining optimum firebox temperatures and loading fully (in a way so that the wood at the back only starts to burn once the wood in front has been consumed) and only increasing the air that once for a 6 or 8 hour burn would probably be more efficient.

Hey jj3500 - you asked my question. I was trying to formulate exactly how I wanted to phrase it - and you pretty much nailed it. I'm trying to maximise efficiency, with heat output, with wood conservation etc. The past month or so, with pretty mild temps I've usually added small pieces to try and maintain the level of warmth desired in the room. Howeveer, I wondered if I would be better off to just load it full thinking that a full load produces more heat and gives off more heat for a longer period of time(I have a soapstone stove). On the other hand I'm happy to keep feeding the stove smaller bites, like a pellet stove and then load it for an overnight burn.

As a side note, we're finally into a deep freeze here in Oregon so I'm putting all my 1 year of burning experience to good use. Best thing I learned last year from everyone - have dry seasoned wood.

it basically just started to get cold here. In the teens during the day. My first year with the stove in my own house. Liking it a lot. Its well, almost like free heat. Aside from all the physical labor put into processing it myself.

I always burn in loads. I vary the size of the load and type of wood some, but I don't just add one piece at a time.

I learned real quick that my setup operates best if I load it up, let it do its thing, and then reload when its time. The secondary combustion system doesn't want to work properly with the one split at a time method.

I also learned real quick that messing with the stove while it's going is a good way to make the house smell like smoke, and burn myself on hot stove parts. If I load the stove right, I don't have to mess with it until the next reload.

-SF

We have a cat. stove so we might do things a bit different from some. But during the day we burn the junk wood and certainly never load it up unless we are to be gone for a long time. But normally, I'll put in 3 pieces during the day. That gives us several hours of good heat and gets rid of the junk wood. (Junk wood = knotty stuff that is difficult to stack; any crap wood like poplar or some partially punky wood.)

Just adding one piece of wood may not be the best. Have you ever noticed when having a fire outdoors that you need at least 3 pieces of wood to get a burn? Some stoves you can get by with less than 3 pieces, but I would not want to be adding wood that often.

What do you define as "optimum" stove temps that you're obtaining with that single split? If you're stovetop temp was only 300-400, wouldnt you be risking more creosote buildup?

bokehman said:
It's a question of efficiency. What you are really trying to work out is which method sends more heat up the chimney. When you put in more wood you cool the firebox. If your firebox is really hot (still hot enough for secondary combustion without giving it more air) you're not really hurting efficiency. This is how a pellet stove works, adding just a tiny piece of fuel at short, regular intervals. If, on the other hand, you need to change your air setting when you add wood you are not maintaining optimum firebox temperatures and loading fully (in a way so that the wood at the back only starts to burn once the wood in front has been consumed) and only increasing the air that once for a 6 or 8 hour burn would probably be more efficient.

This explains a lot. I have been loading one big split at a time. I have to fiddle with the start up air a few times to get the secondary to light back up. A big load of wood at once makes a lot of sense for the reasons you outlined. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.