How Many Years To Dry When Stacked In Wood Cube?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been thinking of making a wood cube, like 5' high, and probably more rectanular, but deep nevertheless-maybe 6 or 9 rows deep. Would anybody out there have any experience with how long it would take to dry out like that?

Thanks.

I did this my first year stacking and won't repeat - I had 5 cord stacked in a single rectangle. inside of the stacks just didn't get the wind moving through and found it was getting punky in spots, etc. After about 18 months, I ended up restacking it into my normal, well spaced pallet cubes - dries awesome and easy to top cover. Cheers!

How long is forever?

I did something similar with birch.
Had the same results as NH_W, I got punky, moldy wood in the middle.

Air circulation is key to drying wood.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Not enough air circulation. I like single 4' x 8' stacks. room permitted.

Not enough air circulation. I like single 4' x 8' stacks. room permitted.
I prefer stacking 3 rows wide too, but I'm trying to maximize use of space and the ability to get at the wood with a lawn tractor and trailer. This way I'll have the 6+ cords from this year's log load accessible, and can put another later cube next to it. Or something like that.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I stack mine in 'cubes'......around 6 to 8 rows wide......and never had a problem seasoning. Now, I am three years ahead, and on the wood's final year (come August) it gets top covered. Actually, I have enough rubber roofing to top cover all of it so I will probably do that this summer......

I wouldn't want to have cubes of wood unless you are a couple years ahead, though.......just my opinion.....

I have stacked at least 21 rows together in the past and never had a problem drying the wood.

This is one more case though of when do you want to burn the wood. In our case, we usually have a bit on hand and do not worry. Still, we usually stack 3 rows together and have noticed that every time, the rows shrink at the same rate. That is, we stack 4 1/2' high and they all shrink to 4' or thereabouts after about 6-7 months. I figure if that center row was not drying it would be taller than the others after a time but it just has never happened. Same goes for larger stacks; they seem to shrink at the same rate.

However, if I needed the wood to dry in a year, I would probably refrain from stacking too many rows together and perhaps even stack them in single rows.

So Velvetfoot, take that for what it is worth but I doubt you'll have a problem.

I'd leave enough room for a groundhog to run through the rows, then you'd likely be ok and if it sat for 2 years with the top covered I'd bet my little brothers lawn tractor that it'd be seasoned, providing the rows aren't too dang long.

I use 4 foot wide pallets with 2 stacks of wood, one on each side with an air gap in the middle. I also have some stacks that are single wide along the house (cedar/cypress wood only) or along a fence. All of my wood is tarped or have a mini-roof on top. I had a chance at some sheets of rubber roofing for cheap, but I did not realize that it was good for wood until after it was gone. The tarps last 2-3 years, when the UV sunlight gets to them.

I'd leave enough room for a groundhog to run through the rows, then you'd likely be ok and if it sat for 2 years with the top covered I'd bet my little brothers lawn tractor that it'd be seasoned, providing the rows aren't too dang long.

Around here they don't run through the rows, the dig under them!

Woodchuck-2013.JPG

my stack is around 60' long, 12' wide, and almost 6' high........
Well, it's more around 45' long now, until I get my wood gathered and processed.....but that wood will be for 3-4 years down the road!

I still don't understand how that seasons for you, I never had luck with wide stacks. There can't be any air getting through the center of that stack. Must have something to do with the location!

heres the way i began doing my stacks that will sit for 2 years or longer....2 rows then space in between.....that way air is hitting one side of each row at least

Reactions: smokinj
5 rows , stuffed full.
Being out of the rain helps a lot too.
wd shed side vw.JPG

Reactions: ScotO
heres the way i began doing my stacks that will sit for 2 years or longer....2 rows then space in between.....that way air is hitting one side of each row at least

I see no space, ;) on a windy day put a small flag half way down the "space" and let me know if it moves any. :)

rdust there is space there about a foot in between the double stacked rows...and the job is getting done...u can see the shrinkage of the wood that has been there for a year now...

Status
Not open for further replies.