how much, and how long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
jebatty said:
The big 1000 gal radiator storage tank is pretty much just like that, absolutely even, consistent heat, without drafts, hot spots or cold spots, and no electrical power to make it work.

That is a pretty good argument for using cast iron radiators as well.

True as a general rule of thumb, although a tank offers much more radiant surface than a CI rad does, so the CI rad often needs hotter water than we really like in a wood system, but not in this application.... Given that the tank is there in the shop area, it seems to me like there is NO benefit to any other sort of heat distribution method besides JE's using the tank as a radiator... Any other method would add expense for materials and labor to install, and increased operating expenses for pumps and such, not to mention adding complexity.

If the tank was not located in the shop, then certainly the use of a unit heater and / or radiators would make sense as a way to heat an existing structure, but that is not what we are dealing with here...

From his description, the only thing I might change in JE's setup is to make some sort of hinged panel setup to make it easier to adjust the insulation coverage w/o needing to handle the insulation directly - less contact w/ potential itchies, and probably less wear and tear on the insulation itself - but this is a relatively minor deal...

Gooserider

I completely agree with Jim's setup and more than likely going to do the same thing to heat the lower level. My thought with the CI radiators is that it is nearly as simple for the rest of the house and my wife can have her hardwood floors and area rugs everywhere. Although, I do have a bunch of smaller propane tanks that have accumulated over a few generations...maybe I should use them instead of CI radiators.

From his description, the only thing I might change in JE’s setup is to make some sort of hinged panel setup to make it easier to adjust the insulation coverage w/o needing to handle the insulation directly

That has occurred to me, and your comment brings the idea back into the front. A good project for early fall.

SolarAndWood said:
I completely agree with Jim's setup and more than likely going to do the same thing to heat the lower level. My thought with the CI radiators is that it is nearly as simple for the rest of the house and my wife can have her hardwood floors and area rugs everywhere. Although, I do have a bunch of smaller propane tanks that have accumulated over a few generations...maybe I should use them instead of CI radiators.

CI rads are a good option in an older house, though I don't particularly care for that look myself. However IMHO if one can do it, radiant floor is the best overall approach, in terms of lowest required water temperatures and so forth... As long as it's put in right, it should work nicely with hardwood floors, and be tolerant of reasonable sized area rugs (and if the room doesn't get warm enough, it is easy enough to pick up the rugs...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.