How much did I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gggvan

Dec 6, 2012
I just got a load of maple from a local tree service. After bucking today, I have 18 rounds 22" across., all about 20-22 " long.

Do I have a full cord?

Rough estimate is just short of 2/3 a cord
someone better at math than I am will no dought
give you a precise answer

Thats about right, 2/3 of a cord. Stack it loose and you will have a cord!

Reactions: iceman2424
+3 for ~2/3 cords.

wow, I split by hand one round and it overflowed the wheel barrel! I've rarely had rounds this big. splits are very heavy, we did have a lot of rain thin spring.

Is there a formula for determining the quantity of split wood based on the log diameter and length?

Example: Say I have 100 linear feet of 18" diameter wood. Is there a formula that these numbers can be plugged into to determine the number of cords I would have when split?

V=pi x radius squared x length. So 3.14 x .75 x .75 x 100. So for the 100" log, 1.4 cord

Sorry, a 100" log will yield six 18" rounds, and not even doing any math my gut estimate after splitting for 30 years says you won't get anywhere near 1.4 cords.

Thanks for your help guys.

You changed things up on me Gearhead. The email note I got ended up with 4.3. I see the diameter/ radius confusion.
Mutineer; The original request was for 100 linear feet; not inches. Gearhead just put a " instead of a ' in his answer.

Should the actual formula be V = ((Pi x (radius squared)) x length) divided by 128?

Is 128 the volume of a full cord?

Yes, but that includes the air spaces between splits.
So if you do the math and get the volume of a given log, you will need to add ~20% for the air spaces once its split/stacked to figure what a log is going to stack out to...

Reactions: Gearhead660
Yes, but that includes the air spaces between splits.
So if you do the math and get the volume of a given log, you will need to add ~20% for the air spaces once its split/stacked to figure what a log is going to stack out to...
Yes, need to add for air space. Forgot to add that part. Hardest part is getting everything in either inches or feet.

Thanks for your help guys.

You changed things up on me Gearhead. The email note I got ended up with 4.3. I see the diameter/ radius confusion.
Mutineer; The original request was for 100 linear feet; not inches. Gearhead just put a " instead of a ' in his answer.

Should the actual formula be V = ((Pi x (radius squared)) x length) divided by 128?

Yup, sorry. Had to edit. Found an error in my math after i hit the "post" button...

Had a 7th grade math teacher named Miss Podsadowski back in the 1970 realm, high platinum blonde beehive hairdo, we called her the Roller Derby Queen, but she did know her math and would nitpick us like I just did to Gearhead!

So, I got it all stacked. Came out to 3 4x4.5x1.5 stacks; and 1 4x2x1.5

using rough math it is .85 of a cord

So for $300, I guess that's fair ish 75% red oak, rest maple /ash.

You paid $300 for a load of logs that you still had to CSS and it only equaled .75 cords?! $400 per cord buys you the most premium dry hardwood firewood that there is around these parts...and probably delivered, and stacked!
Where are you located....I have some wood to sell ::-)

For 300 bucks in log lenth I would have expected to get no less then 4 cords... 4.5 or more and I would have thought it was a better deal

where do you live..