How Much Do You Like Your Gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenaliChuck

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2008
South Central Colorado
A few questions if you would be so kind...

How much do you like your gasifier?

What brand do you have?

Do you have tendencies to be a "gear-head", "gasification-nut" or "fill in your affliction here" or are you "normal"?

Does your wife tend the home fires?

If so, what does she think about the gasifier?

Thanks,

Chuck

Like: 95+% satisfied.
Brand: Tarm Solo Plus 40
Affliction: all mentioned and more.
Wife tend the home fires? No
If so, what does she think about the gasifier? are you talking about me or the boiler?

jebatty said:
Like: 95+% satisfied.
Brand: Tarm Solo Plus 40
Affliction: all mentioned and more.
Wife tend the home fires? No
If so, what does she think about the gasifier? are you talking about me or the boiler?

Yep, well said, ditto here

I love the thing. I got 1 oil delivery this winter, 31.9 gallons. I ran out of wood about a month ago so I'm using oil for DHW, but no heat at all.

DenaliChuck said:
A few questions if you would be so kind...

What brand do you have?

Do you have tendencies to be a "gear-head", "gasification-nut" or "fill in your affliction here" or are you "normal"?

I couldn't be happier.

EKO 60

Technically, I'm a wood weirdo.

Yes.

She loves the unlimited heat and hot water and the control she has over same. And, she loves the low utility bills.

How much do you like your gasifier? Very satisfied. No regrets at all, and performance has exceeded expectations.

What brand do you have? EKO 25

Do you have tendencies to be a "gear-head", "gasification-nut" or "fill in your affliction here" or are you "normal"? Maximal controls freak, tinkerer, DIY on steroids

Does your wife tend the home fires? Yes, but primarily when I'm not available. She's happier helping with wood gathering. And the axe. I should worry about that, maybe.

If so, what does she think about the gasifier? She was intimidated at first, but is pretty comfortable with it now. It's important to share the learning curve.

Pook said:
whats your latest efficiency figure?

If you're referring to my detailed individual-burn spereadsheet where I weigh the wood and measure the moisture, I never got to do another run. I need a load of prett consistent wood to do it, and the stuff I had towards the end of the season was too random. Those runs tended to be in the 55% range, but they don't account for heat that makes it into the house from the plumbing itself, or heat that radiates from the boiler. It's a very stringent measure of efficiency.

Another way of looking at it is seasonal wood consumption compared to historical oil consumption. I used to use about 70 million BTU per season in oil heat, and I burned 4 cords this past winter. On that basis, my efficiency is more like 80% or slightly better.

We like it ALOT! We'd put it in our living room if there was a better view of the fire.

What brand do you have?
Tarm Solo Plus 30 No Storage

Do you have tendencies to be a “gear-head”, “gasification-nut” or ”fill in your affliction here” or are you “normal”?
I'm on the procrastinating side of frugal to a fault.

Yes if I am not around.

"Best investment we have made!"

This was my first winter with the Tarm 40 and I'm very happy. Like anything there's a learning curve, but it dosn't take long to figure out how to make it burn best. Dry wood is important.

As far as afflictions I'm a pyro from way back. I love woodstoves, fireplaces, and especially burn piles.

DenaliChuck said:

The unit itself I like. The company sucks. The biggest fault I find with the unit is that the refractory craks to hell. But I'm thinking/hoping this has little effect on function.

DenaliChuck said:
What brand do you have?

GreenWood 100

DenaliChuck said:

My affliction is not family-friendly, so, in an attempt to not get censored, we'll just say I'm a control freak.

DenaliChuck said:

I love her, but . . . one day she called me at work to say the door wouldn't latch. She said she proped a stick against it to hold the door. When I got home . . . the nut on the handle had over-tightened . . . she just needed to turn the handle the other direction. Silly rabbit, trix are for kids.

DenaliChuck said:

Many years ago I decided it was best not to ask anyone I slept with what they were thinking. But I will say, she always wrote the checks for oil, and her wrist has taken quite a break ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.