How much heat is lost with a top lock damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim(CT)

Oct 15, 2018
Bristol, CT
I need to put in either a throat damper or a top lock damper. With the top lock damper, how much heat do you lose? Obviously, the heat will go up the chimney until it's built up in the chimney and then finally pushed out to the room but I don't want to wait an hour before the room starts to feel the heat from the fireplace. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking, you can't operate a fireplace with a top lock damper closed, so the heat will never come back, you'll get some radiant heat, but you'll be at a net loss for heat going into your home.

I think in another thread he was talking about installing a vent free gas log setup. I'm kinda lost too.

What you want is a gas insert. Go to your local stove shop and ask to see some. Also FYI if you read the manual on any set of vent free logs they will tell you to leave a door or window open 4" for ventilation while using them. You do know vent free just means the fumes come back into the house right? Gas burns clean but there are still fumes regardless.