How much smoke does a pellete stove make?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverfly

Minister of Fire
Jun 26, 2008
Southern NH
I am trying to convince my park owner to allow Pellet stoves in the Mobile home park I live in. Each Mobile home is about 30 ft apart some have leaky windows. How clean does it burn and if I go vertical with the exagust vent how fast does start up smoke dissipate? Is there an Oder when running? how strong is it. Also are wood stoves manufactured home approved like pellet stoves? Discussion and opinions wanted!!

My startup smoke dissipates in under 5 seconds and is very minimal. They are very clean burning devices and have had no issues with soot of any kind on my house. There is a very slight wood stove odor when I open the door to remove the ash, but is undetectable when the stove is running with the door shut. Pellet Stoves are a lot safer than wood stoves, so I can't imagine your park owner allowing wood stoves and not pellet stoves. Most insurance companies will not even raise your rates when you notify them you are installing a pellet stove.

i burn pellet stoves literaly every day year round for testing purposes as well as the one i heat my home with , the only time you should have noticable smoke is during startup and in some cases as the unit shuts down if a stay couple pellets drop in on the coals as they go out , other than that if you are seeing smoke you likely need to clean your stove.

Tell the manager that it is going to be one hell of a lot less than the barbecues and vent-a-hoods smells.

i dont think you will find ANY wood stove that is mobile home approved. any that i looked at said specifically"not for use in mobile homes". even if you went with the vent kit thru your wall, i dont think you would really bother the neighbors. i know after my stove starts and goes for a bit, i went outside and looked to see how much smoke there was and could not see any,and i live in an elderly mobile home (1967) with a 16x40 addition.

mike

mjbrown65 said:
i dont think you will find ANY wood stove that is mobile home approved. any that i looked at said specifically"not for use in mobile homes".
mike

there are good , safe mobile home approved woodstoves on the market , we build 2 of them at ESW.this one would be for your size application http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nc.html

even the 30-nc , our largest EPA wood unit is mobile home approved. better be a BIG mobile home though! http://www.englanderstoves.com/30-nc.html

im sure there are other manufacturers out there that make MH approved models as well , though i havent look for them personally , hmmmm.... maybe i should do some looking...

BrotherBart said:
Tell the manager that it is going to be one hell of a lot less than the barbecues and vent-a-hoods smells.

Actually, I prefer the aroma of T-bones cooking on the BBQ ;-P

I was hoping that wood stoves were not Mobile home approved there for I would halved a strong point in preventing the argument of another resident of putting a wood stove in there home just because I got a pellet stove.

So are there any possible legal resounds that the park manager can enforce to prevent me form installing one?

sorry mike...i stand corrected.

mike in maine

mjbrown65 said:
sorry mike...i stand corrected.

mike in maine

wasnt picking mike,
i just thought by the wording of your post you had at one time been looking for one , actually after posting i did a bit of looking and was suprised how many there are out there , osborne for instance has almost their entire line of woodstove MH approved , this is a bit of a switch from the older days when most companies would at best carry one small one that was MH approved , guess it needed to become more mainstream with fuel costs these days.

i know you wasnt picking mike. i should have done more research b4 i posted. at one time i was looking for a wood burner, but most of where i looked was northern tool catalog, and i dont think any of those were MH approved. i built my own and used it for 2 yrs. b4 i decided to go pellet.

43 yrs old now and that guy Arthur Itis has come to visit in the back and legs, so the working up of wood got to be to much by myself, and the wife said ENUFF.now, as long as i can find pellets, i'm burning my harman.

speaking for my mobile ONLY...it's a 1967 and there is no way i put a wood burner in it. i have a 16x40 addition and that is where the stove was. the addition is all built fron 2x6 and constructed just like a house, so i felt safer with the stove there.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.