How much to spend on a chimney brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarker496

Mar 20, 2009
Western NY
Hi Fellas-
I need to buy a 7" square chimney brush. I have seen ones with round wire ranging in cost from $10-$56. These really seem almost identical except in price. I have also seen some flat-wire brushes for about $80. The cheap one was made by Rutland. Here's a link to some that I found: http://www.google.com/products/cata...jD4iw3QT7lK3aDQ&sa=button&ved=0CAkQgggwADgA#p

Does Rutland make a good brush? Or is this a case where it is really worth it to shell out the extra money? With the money I will save by sweeping myself, I have no problem spending $80. But I don't want to do this if the $10 brush will work just fine for my once yearly cleaning. If it makes any difference, I will be cleaning from the top using a rope and weights. Thanks in advance for any info.
-Jay

I used a Rutland steel brush for many years with a rope and weight, a plastic anti-freeze container full of bolts, and it did a fine job.

Usually around $20 will get you a good quality brush that will last your lifetime.

My 6 inch poly brush was $16 Canadian . Got it stuck when I shoved it into my neighbors 5" flue that I tought was a 6" flue. :-S

Small kindling fire to warm it up, and out it came, mishapened, but out none the less.

My second poly brush was $7 on sale.

I'm going to stay with poly brushes now that I know how to get them out when stuck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.