How much wood does a peach tree yield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
I did a search to see how well peach wood burns and I found that it burns well but is better suited for smoking simply due to taste. I however need heat more than taste. Besides, I can always set aside a few pieces for smoking stuff. I found a guy locally that is advertising a grove of peach trees for $5.00ea you cut and haul. So I was wondering if anyone had any idea how much wood a peach tree produces, so that I could come up with a price per cord to see if its worth it or not. What do you guys think?

There is a guy I help with some wood cutting and such he has a grove of peach trees and I have cut and trimmed quite a few. The tree's are small maybe 20-30 feet tall and have lots of smallish branches. At the base most are 6-9 inches across. I would have to say it is not worth the time for the wood you get last fall I took down at least 20 tree's and the pile of good usable wood is no more than 2 face cords.
I just do it to help out my pal he is 86 owned a tree service for 40 years and has been farming all his life. Last year he raised and sold over 10,000 pumpkins.
The one possibility for a decent haul would be if you can sell or trade the peach wood and increase the value at way.

I would guess maybe a large wheelbarrow load per tree. That is if you also take the smaller branches. Not many pieces will need to be split either. Not worth the time without the price IMHO.

Yeah that's what I was figuring. I remember we had a peach tree as a kid and it was pretty thin on the wood side but I wanted to see what you all thought. Guess it might be worth 1 tree for smoking wood anyway.

I would not think it worth the time to cut for firewood. There just is not that much but a whole lot of brush to tend with.

I'm in agreement with everyone else here. I have cut up a bunch of fruit trees, and unless it is a larger apple tree, it is more brush than wood. What's more, the small branches tend to be forked, not very straight, and tough to deal with, so you end up not taking too much of the small stuff. I wouldn't way for them, but would cut one down if it was nearby, free, and I had a convenient place to toss the brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.